What's new
What's new

K & T 2CH Universal Head Drive Gear

K&T_Journeyman79

Aluminum
Most vintage K & T Horizontal Milling Machines are missing the all-important drive gear for the vertical/universal head. The drive gears are rare to find just like K & T Model 2D collets. My K & T Model 2CH Horizontal was no different.

Ramsey1 was gracious enough to machine me a 30 Tooth helical drive gear for my universal head with quill adjustment. It was only the gear without the drive lugs. After careful analysis, I decided to reverse the drive lug concept and make special spindle drive keys and mill slots into the gear. Please see the attached photos.

Drive Gear - 10.jpgDrive Gear - 3.jpgDrive Gear - 2.jpgDrive Gear - 4.jpgDrive Gear - 9.jpg

The drive gear, round plate, and threaded lock bolt, were mounted to a NMTB 50 Taper tool holder. The special drive keys were mounted into the spindle. So far, the gear fits, locks into place, and appears to rotate without much runout.

The next step is to mount the heavy universal head, test the gear mesh, and actually run the universal head spindle. My 2CH does not have a parking attachment, so mounting the universal head will be a challenge. I still have to finish one (1) spindle drive key for the head spindle.

For my Model 2CH, I am not sure, yet. It appears that the distances between the overarm centerline and internal head gear centerline are fixed along with the distances from the overarm centerline to the spindle drive gear. Plus, the plate must be smaller in diameter than the root diameter of the spindle drive gear teeth, otherwise the plate will hit the head's gear teeth when the head is pulled into the column by the retracting the overarms.

I will verify when I mount the universal head.

The disc has to be machined to the pitch line... The disc will interfere if it is the proper size....There is a procedure for mounting the head.... Withdraw both overarms flush with the column... Install the head and drive bracket.. THEN insert both overarms into the cutter head... If you have a std hi speed head, the drive bracket is not doweled to the overarms, hence, the need for the spacer disc on each gear.... Std hi speed head has the drive bracket that can separate from the cutter head by loosening a swing bolt and nut... Cutter head is supported by both overarms...... Cheers from Louisiana .. Ramsay 1:)

:confused:

My 2Ch mounts the double swivel heavy or universal vertical head - no quill, no moving away from column - hangs on over arms

No pitch disc

Can anyone explain why the thread topic head would use one? (since it seems to hang on overarms)

I don't believe that my universal head requires the pitch disc on the spindle drive gear. I am going to mount the head on the overarms, secure the overarm clamp nut, and retract the head/overarms until the head's mounting surface contacts the column face. Then I will secure the two (2) clamps that fit the back of the column dovetail. The gear backlash should be set. I don't think I have any adjustment to make on the head.

I will verify later this week, IF this is the case.

Kearney and Trecker 2h Std Hi Speed Milling Head

This may better explain everything... Standard hi speed head with non movable quill... Drive bracket.. Gear.... The drive bracket dowels nowhere.. The overarms connect to the cutter head ONLY...Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 42
  • drive bracket.jpg
    drive bracket.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 48
  • drive gear a.jpg
    drive gear a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 42
  • drive gear.jpg
    drive gear.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 44
:confused:

My 2Ch mounts the double swivel heavy or universal vertical head - no quill, no moving away from column - hangs on over arms

No pitch disc

Can anyone explain why the thread topic head would use one? (since it seems to hang on overarms)

Mine never had them, either, but.. slides up and down on the adapter plate for the "non K&T" Quartet. One must hand-set the engagement. BFD, the spindle is still where it is.

But.. the disks - if I DID have them - could reduce if not eliminate that hand-setting step.

So I ask, was there some OTHER application ...in the K&T universe, not "alien"....that did NOT have fixed spacing, and would otherwise have needed the hand-setting if no disks?

As-in the double-angle head to one of K&T's massive verticals - no overarms in the mix?

Just a thought.

K & T 2CH Vertical Head Drive Gear

Last night, I mounted the universal head on my K & T Model 2CH. First step was to get this monster onto the table, since my machine does not have a parking bracket not do I have a hoist. Second step was to engage the overarms into the overarm bracket. Third step, I had to remove the two (2) column dovetail clamps, so the head could mount against the column face. Fourth step, I retracted the overarms until the head mounting surface contacted the column face. Fifth step, I reinstalled and tightened the column dovetail clamps. Step six, I tightened the overarm clamps on the machine and head. The backlash between the gear set was proper, only a few thousands. Finally, using a slow spindle speed, I turned on the spindle. The universal head spindle turned freely, but I heard some metal-to-metal noise. After removing the column clamp and advancing the overarms forward, I noticed the the head gear was contacting the special spindle drive keys.

Tomorrow, I will machine some clearance on the drive keys and recheck the head for function. In my case, I do not need the plate disc to set the backlash between the gear set.

Drive Gear - 11.jpgDrive Gear - 12.jpg

since my machine does not have a parking bracket not do I have a hoist.

"For possible consideration.." I didn't buy from Harbour-Freight, but it turns out to be the same item, same Chicom factory from the look of it.

An (alleged) 1,000 lb capacity "truck-bed hoist":

Pickup Truck Bed Crane - 1000 lb. Capacity

Why do I like it?

- It comes apart or goes together in about one minute.

- each major component is 10 or 11 lbs, Avoir. Easy one-hand lift, IOW.

- it lifts-off that tubular post.

- One can have "several" such posts already fastened in strategic places. Atop a mill in need of hoisting these heads first on the list.

- and/or there may be but studs or bols and the one column moved between and among.

ONE covers the whole shop.

K & T 2CH Vertical Head Drive Gear

I completed modification of the gear drive keys to eliminate interference with the universal head's gear. Remounted and secured the head to the column/overarms. No interference issues. Ran the head up to 560 RPM, with a minimal of noise. After 560 RPM, the head begins to make some noise. Tonight, I will grease the entire head since I don't know when the last time it was greased.

Final test will be to make a test cut using a 3" Dia. Iscar Face Mill. Depth of cut will be approximately 1/8". Not sure if the head will handle a heavier cut. The drive gear Ramsey1 made is not hardened. I also have to make one (1) more spindle drive key for the universal head.

Universal Head - 3.jpgUniversal Head - 4.jpgUniversal Head - 9.jpg

You do know that certain portions of that unit take oil and not grease right? The gear is not hardened as it was the prototype for mine.. If one gear is to be soft, it should always be the one easiest made.. You will have some noise as it is impossible to have the exact gear that was furnished by K&T.....The lead is impossible to get exact with the means I used.. Lead has to fall between two choices.....Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Why spacer discs are not needed on most milling attachments

Here is the difference.. The drive bracket dowels the unit to the overarms on all other gear driven units.. Gear tooth backlash can be kept constant so no need for discs....Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• 2hl.jpg
    2hl.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 42
Ramsey1: By no means am I complaining about the gear you made. I appreciate you making it for me.

My universal head has at least three (3) grease fittings. I don't know when it was greased or lubricated in the past. I don't see a need to run this head faster than 560 RPM.

Back