What's new
What's new

K&T 2HL Rehab Project

The majority of old motors which are greased with grease zerks are likely to be found with windings caked with old grease because people just pumped grease in over the years without removing purge plugs prior.... The proper procedure is: Remove purge plug, pump grease into the bearing until you see the grease from your gun emerge from the purge plug..Run motor one minute with purge plug removed..Stop motor.. Wipe excess grease from purge plug hole... Install purge plug.. DO NOT ADD MORE GREASE...Use this procedure once a year and your motors will thank you for it.. Many motors have been ruined by grease entering the windings causing temperature rise and failed insulation.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)
The downside on this machine is that requires removing the pulley and fan. Kind of a dumb design. They put the grease zerk on the back of the motor on a brass tube. But the purge plug is still where it should be, inaccessible. I mean, if you have no way of making the purge plug accessible, why the hell would you waste the brass to extend the zerk to the back!

Please know that you cannot install this unit by hanging it onto the overarms...You must retract the overarms flush with the column, hang the unit onto the column with clamps loose, then insert overarms... This unit should have the spacer discs that maintain proper gear backlash therefore, the special procedure for installation.. The other vertical heads can be mounted onto the overarms first but not this one.... I have the std hi speed head for my 2h plain for which I made both drive gear and spacer disc... Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

Considering I don't currently have a drive gear, if I don't use the overarms, it will fall and hit the table. ;)
Yes, that is a common problem with those vertical heads.. Drive gear is usually not with it because someone who knew no better tossed the gear in the scrap....I have made 2 gears because of this.. Notice the driven gear in the drive bracket has a disc on one side that is close to the pitch line of the gear.. Drive gear has same and others will not work. As a side note, I recently discovered that the crank for my low lead attachment on my 2hl fits the adjusting screw on the 2h parking attachment.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

Ran into some issues removing the feed distribution box. Mostly all my fault for not quite figuring out how it all goes together. It was difficult to follow the parts diagram to see what I was missing.

Ran into some issues removing the feed distribution box. Mostly all my fault for not quite figuring out how it all goes together. It was difficult to follow the parts diagram to see what I was missing.

Nice project! I have a 1943 2hl universal with low lead box.. Keith Rucker made a video with Ron Grundy, who is a retired K&T rebuilder and he speaks of how these mills come apart in units.. I have never had one apart but I see how it is done now that you have.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

Be very careful with leadscrews, they bend very easily. Your eye sees the major diameter but they are only as strong as the minor diameter.

Regards Tyrone.

What was truly amazing is when you see a line of K&T's 20 deep pumping out parts for the war effort. Men using nothing but the dials and hand measurement tools.
Repeatability in machined parts was simply remarkable for the day.
I still have 2 in the shop built during WWII. Build quality that is off the chart.
Listen to an old K&T employee talk about the "production for war":
I have three "war babies" still up and running.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

What does this have to do with felt pads? Or are you just Mr. Negativity?
I’m always positive -
Take your time centring up the plug, I used a small set of dividers to find the centre of plug before centre punching. Eyeballing it is a bit hit and miss.
Drill your pilot hole.
On plugs that size go straight to the tapping drill, don’t bother with intermediate drills. Take the edge off the drill slightly with a small emery stone or a small file.
Keep the drill steady, don’t waggle it around like it’s your dick and you‘re trying to piss your name in the snow. A bit of lubrication can help.

I hope that helps. Regards Tyrone.

Back