What's new
What's new

K&t astronomical divider head

Bowtie_Finn

Aluminum
Another one of these popped up on Ebay (no relation to seller) thought I would post here, as the spelled "Trecker" as "Trekker"... case a member had 1k to spare :confused:

I keep thinking how fun these would be to play around with - the ability to index in such great resolution would be something crazy on a manual machine, if only the price was 100 not 1000... although cannot complain too much as I bet new these things were like 10-20k lol

A poor man can dream!

Thought I would post it here KEARNEY & TREKKER ASTRONOMICAL DIVIDER HEAD - VERY RARE! | eBay

Do the math on a micro-stepping motor and drive, or a resolver.

Suddenly those mechanical devices appear to be only interesting, and not so precise or useful.

They are nicely made though! ;-)

So if I squired this would it fit right on my 12" Model K DH?

Thanks, answered my own question

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6747.pdf

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6733.pdf

I could find no peculiarity among 10, 12, and 14" Model K as far as hole plates and according to literature, the astronomical fits directly in place of the hole plates so one would think it would fit all three sizes of model k head..

Astronomical pops up on ebay now and then but I want to see "Compudex" for model h sometime.. Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model H 10" and 12" Universal Dividing Heads - Brochure | VintageMachinery.org

Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

No I have never seen one in the flesh just pictures...With the prices like they are lately, it is doubtful I will have one either... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I have faith you'll find one for 10$ - as you're the guy that got a K&T 2d Cherrying attachment for 35$ :P

I have faith you'll find one for 10$ - as you're the guy that got a K&T 2d Cherrying attachment for 35$ :P

And don't forget the rotab drive bracket for my 2d for five dollars.. But alas, not any more....Too many dealers giving people ideas..Good thing I got what I could when I could get it...My 800 dollar low lead attachment with all the gears for my 2hl might fetch enough to build a new house in the coming years.. Who knows, I am 67 now we can just wait and see.. Cheers! Ramsay 1:)

If you think the K&T version is rare look for the Cincinnati one. They had to come with it from the factory. I have only seen a few in pictures and one in real life. Luckily because I own it. They call it the Wide Range Divider.

Also if you have masochistic streak you can get the high number plate for it. It was so over the top even the factory manual says something to the effect of "don't use these unless you really need them, it's overkill". Something about the chances of you making an error are very high.

A picture from 6 years ago as I started to clean it up so I could use it without needing a tetanus shot.
IMG_20130607_232905_887.jpg

An old friend of mine worked in a mold shop in Cincinnati that had one of the K&T astronomical units... he said they used it once in the ten years he worked there.

Interesting to note that astronomical units were made for other units besides model k but I would imagine that they are even more scarce than the model K units.. Cheers from hot Louisiana: Ramsay 1:)

Back