What's new
What's new

K&T model 1H12 MFG

dana gear

Hot Rolled
K&T 1H12 MFG, I recently purchased some CNC equipment from a aero space company, in the batch of equipment was a K&T, they joked that it was a gift with purchase.
It is a 1H12 MFG, I have never seen one of theses, it is a 35-3220 and in K&T lot number system it shows it as a 1H-2HL built in Sept of 41. It defiantly is of 40's vintage.
Here's ware it gets a little strange, this machine front controls and table looks nothing like a 1H-2HL at all. The table is completely different, very short and it has telescopic coolant drains(factory) on both sides of the table with large catch basins on both ends. The front controls are not like anything I have ever seen on a H type mill. The Colum and drive is arbor are basically standard H. It's in very good condition, although I have absolutely no interest in ever using it although we still have a couple 2-3K's here in the shop. just more curious then anything else. any ideas?

In addition to the familiar1H Plain and Universal model mills K&T also produced the 1H-12 MFG and 1H-18 MFG. The 12 and 18 would indicate the longitudinal travel of the table. These were the manufacturing mills designed to run the same part for days much like a W&S turret lathe. I'm not sure but I would suspect these have some form of mechanical auto cycle function. I don't think I've ever seen a parts book or ops manual for these. I'd love to see some detailed photos of the knee and table on this machine.

There is one of these machines over at a place near me (machinery values in Harrison NJ). It is not in good shape, not listed on their website.

I didn’t get a very good picture of the front controls.

1670851486531.jpeg

Sort of like so in early forties full line catalog
Hi John, yes that is the machine. I assumed it was a production mill, just never seen this one before. I will probably offer it to the guys in the shop and see if anyone wants it for there home shop. It came with a box of tooling and the machine itself is in pretty good condition appearance wise, although I have not seen it under power. maybe we will shove some 3 phase to it and see what happens, and yes we always use a phase tester for correct rotation.

I wonder what this stack of gears is for that's under the right side of the table/knee.

00H0H_dzTzgIex8p1z_0pX0t2_1200x900.jpg

A bit more info was posted in the somewhat earlier full line.

Attachments

• 1H Mfg B.jpg
    1H Mfg B.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1H Mfg C.jpg
    1H Mfg C.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back