What's new
What's new

Kaeser Compressor lemon - Which brand to buy next?

Yes, no, kinda... There is a reason that's not a thing that any of the major manufactures do. I've done research on this before but can't remember why it's not a thing. Something about motor torque and momentum required between pulses, the faster the better kinda deal...

One thing I remember reading is that compressors that are splash lubricated by a "flinger" on the big end of the connecting rod that dips into the sump may not do a good enough job if the pump is run too slowly.

Oh ya. Of course this is always a way to make something work. I guess I'm just saying for a standard off-the-shelf unit there are some limitations regarding a VFD system.

The clear difference between a screw and piston as far as the motor knows is that the screw is a true constant load and the piston isn't.

My #1 reason for a screw compressor is the low noise level. I work in a small shop and don't like reciprocating compressor noise. I bought the two I've owned used ($1600 and $2800) so I've never had to swallow the new sticker price.

My #1 reason for a screw compressor is the low noise level. I work in a small shop and don't like reciprocating compressor noise. I bought the two I've owned used ($1600 and $2800) so I've never had to swallow the new sticker price.

Building an enclosure around a reciprocating compressor and lining it with insulating foam or glass fiber to deaden sound makes a huge difference. For large compressors may need to add a fan to pull cooling air thru the enclosure.

5/21/2018 - Compressor installed by Kaeser, $7235 with spare filter set and startup labor
5/24/2018 - Solenoid valve replaced
5/31/2018 - Vent valve replaced

7/26/2019 - Kaeser planned service, motor bearings are bad
9/13/2019 - Replace motor under warranty because they had a bad run of motors

9/24/2020 - Kaeser planned service, first and only service call where no problems with compressor are found

10/19/2021 - Kaeser planned service, tech agrees air end sounds like shit. Belts and oil ok, motor bearings sound growly
11/10/2021 - Kaeser salesman says in email, "Wow, I agree that it is not normal to see that kind of wear in a machine that only has been used for 5,680 hours." and said during a phone call, "even if we were under utilizing the compressor really badly, an air end should fail at 8-10 years, not 3".
11/29/2021 - Kaeser quotes $4,410 to replace air end and $764 to replace motor ($5174 total, 71% of the total original cost of the compressor)
12/10/2021 - Kaeser tech comes to verify issue, no obvious reason air end should have gone bad. Oil is good, mechanical systems are good, environment is outstanding.
Jan/2022 - Kaeser 'master tech' comes by unannounced to verify issues. Never got paperwork from this visit, but he confirmed that there is no obvious reason the air end should have failed. Oil is good, mechanical systems are good, environment is outstanding.

2/23/2022 - "...this claim was denied due to no longer within the warranty period." FOUR MONTHS to deny a warranty claim.
8/19/2022 - RIP SX5. It finally died with a 'Motor Overcurrent' alarm, and the airend is super hard to turn by hand. It's done.

Our Quincy QT-7.5 is running the shop now, it's supposed to be our backup but is doing very well. Super quiet for a piston compressor. Hopefully the QGS-5 will be here end of September. The local service guys and I decided to try another screw compressor, so we'll see how that works out.

The high-end, commercial-grade piston Quincy compressors run slow and are surprisingly quiet---made even more so with a larger intake filter. One would probably be the closest thing you will ever own in a shop that allows you to "set it, and forget it".
(Although the occasional oil change is recommended, and an automatic water drain saves your tank and lines...)

If you ever rebuild one of the industrial-grade Quincy piston-style pumps, the design itself and sheer size of the components will blow your mind!

(No affiliation with Quincy, just a satisfied and "amazed" owner.)

ToolCat

I have two atlas copco compressors. One about 5-6 years old, one brand new. Both have been flawless and we don't maintain them nearly as well as what they should be. So perhaps your mileage may vary depending on model etc.
Meh, ours is once again at the dealership-since February waiting on parts.They did however loan us a comparable compressor which only breaks down once every couple of weeks due to the crappy install they did . Found out, do NOT buy the chinese made Atlas products.Instead of fixing our old one the other day they offered a new replacement model with the cost of the older one deducted from price due to it being a lemon. Sounds like the front office may take it but demanded the US built model. Guess we'll see.

Meh, ours is once again at the dealership-since February waiting on parts.They did however loan us a comparable compressor which only breaks down once every couple of weeks due to the crappy install they did . Found out, do NOT buy the chinese made Atlas products.Instead of fixing our old one the other day they offered a new replacement model with the cost of the older one deducted from price due to it being a lemon. Sounds like the front office may take it but demanded the US built model. Guess we'll see.

My newer one is now approaching a year old with also zero issues. I have no idea where they were manufactured. Didn't look.

The "continuous" valve on my I/R T30 is acting up this last cpl of days.
I may have to take it apart and clean it?
It's only 25 yrs old and runs every day...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back