What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker Milwaukee No 1B Mill

Nhilus13122

Plastic
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any information on this milling machine I recently picked up. I've never heard of Kearney & Trecker so I know nothing about the machine other than it appears someone retrofitted it with a Bridgeport R head for vertical milling. I haven't been able to find much info on them.

This is the first milling machine I've bought as it was $700 all in and it just seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I hope I didn't make a mistake there. I have the support to convert it back to horizontal as well but I have no clue what taper size arbor I would need for that. Ill probably only use it for vertical either way and I assume the R head takes R8 but I don't have any on hand to try it out at the moment. I would still like to find out as much about the machine as possible. It might take me awhile to work through the machine and fix it up so I want to also know if it would even be worth it.

Supposedly runs and all the autofeeds work. I haven't seen it personally since I need to pick up a vfd to run it, but a buddy of mine went and ran it when he picked it up and said everything seemed to work so we will find out.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kearney $ Trecker
Milwaukee No 1 B Plain

Bridgeport R Head
Serial# R-372
226-3385 RPM

Attachments

• 20220429_195625.jpg
    20220429_195625.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220429_200257.jpg
    20220429_200257.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220429_200310.jpg
    20220429_200310.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
As you were a new user, 1st post with pics, it needed approval. That's done.

K & T was one the serious and major manufactures in milling machines. Yours is pretty old, but could certainly be a interesting project.

A list of K & T publications:
Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Pretty sure this is yours, dated from 1914:
Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 1B Plain Horizontal Mill - Brochure | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/17542.pdf

That vertical head appears to be a Bridgeport "M" head.

It is an R head and yes, they use R8 tooling. I have had one for many years. In a sales brochure the R was called Bridgeport's "heavy duty" head and the M head was in the same publication. No quill means it's not as convenient for drilling but no worn splines means nice finish too! It is one way of using small carbide to good advantage on older mills.
Rick

It is an R head and yes, they use R8 tooling. I have had one for many years. In a sales brochure the R was called Bridgeport's "heavy duty" head and the M head was in the same publication. No quill means it's not as convenient for drilling but no worn splines means nice finish too! It is one way of using small carbide to good advantage on older mills.
Rick

Must be nice and quiet.. My little M head on my 2h rattles pretty good as the splines are worn.... Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

Back