What's new
What's new

Kearney & Trecker Milwaukee No. 2 Special Universal information

Just purchased this and was wanting to find out what the base motor HP would be, the Head Unit is a Bridgeport 1 HP serial # J22426 but the base has no tag on it and the motor does not have any information either. Any info on where to look for the motor HP or age of the machine would be appreciated.

A No 2 Special is a design that predates the H and K mills we often see. It could have shipped with "motor in base" which would be 5HP or a belt drive. K&T didn't use serial plates, instead the serials were stamped into the mill body casting by their logo. If you can find the serial we can date it. The number will look like zz-xxxx where zz is the unit number and xxxx is the batch lot number. I would expect this mill to date to sometime prior to the mid 1930s. I'd love to see some photos.

Below are links to Catalog 28A, and the Ops manual for your machine. Special thanks to Keith Rucker @ Vintage Machinery

Mike

In case you over looked it - 5HP at 1200 motor RPM

I'd guess this was a MFG effort made from very old versions of their product line - to get capability OUT THERE circa 1941.

Not much change from their1917 catalog

Have fun
Yes I saw the 5 H.P. but thought I had seen where they could be as large as a 10 H.P. and was just trying to pinpoint the size for the circuit breaker. I ohmed out the motor and all seems to be good, going to try and power it up in a couple of days. The Bridgeport Mill Head seems to run just fine.

A No 2 Special is a design that predates the H and K mills we often see. It could have shipped with "motor in base" which would be 5HP or a belt drive. K&T didn't use serial plates, instead the serials were stamped into the mill body casting by their logo. If you can find the serial we can date it. The number will look like zz-xxxx where zz is the unit number and xxxx is the batch lot number. I would expect this mill to date to sometime prior to the mid 1930s. I'd love to see some photos.

Below are links to Catalog 28A, and the Ops manual for your machine. Special thanks to Keith Rucker @ Vintage Machinery

Mike

Mike

Mike
I'll have to see about getting them where I can attach to the site, I will try and find any identification numbers.

I found a patent plate on it that shows the latest date as Notice Patent # 1710913 April 1929, would that imply the manufacturing date to be around that time? It has a Bridgeport Mill Head Serial Number J22426 on it. Everything works and all motors are original motors. I have to download pictures and will try and do that when I have the time.

I found a patent plate on it that shows the latest date as Notice Patent # 1710913 April 1929, would that imply the manufacturing date to be around that time? It has a Bridgeport Mill Head Serial Number J22426 on it. Everything works and all motors are original motors. I have to download pictures and will try and do that when I have the time.
Adding Bridgeport heads to these old mills was/is common practice, but they were not added by the OEM so it'll have no bearing on the age of the mill.

The patent ensures the machine wasn't made prior to that date. I would narrow that likely window to 1930-35 but that is a guess. I'm confident this machine has a serial number on it to date it. The question is where they put it, and I have no clue on this era of machine. Usually the K&T machines had the serial near their logo. Bridgeport heads got swapped around a lot and also there is no definitive guide to date a head to a year. The "J" head wasn't released until the 1950s.

Back