What's new
What's new

kennametal dodeka shell mill speeds and feeds for 44w?

Pistonring12

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Just running a job right now having issues with feeds and speeds on my kennametal dodeka. Cuts sound super heavy. Does anyone know what I should run it at?

Last edited:
Thats mild steel and kennametal said 885 sfm 0.015 per tooth (five insert). But that still doesnt work well.
Width of cut and depth of cut are important here. You should go to Kennemetalnovo.com and create a tool assembly to see cutting parameter recommendations.

With the insert grade I have, 850sfm, .006"fpt, .100"doc and 70% stepover in mild steel works well for me.

.015"fpt is towards the top of their recommendation in novo and I wouldn't expect it to work well with a doc of more than .02" or .03".

Thats mild steel and kennametal said 885 sfm 0.015 per tooth (five insert). But that still doesnt work well.
Which machine? Sometimes the machine is the weakest point.
My HAAS VF-5 can't do what's Sandvik recommends for it's R245.

Maybe shouldn't sound terrible, but at the same time, I'd be trying more or less than 50%

70% would be better. Don't know if that'll leave you with a 30% cut later on in your facing program or something, which would also likely sound bad.

But what happens when you slow it down to .010 or something? and what about combining it with slow sfm? What have you tried?

And let me be that guy who asks the "dumb questions"... What RPM and feedrate are you running it at? (I have seen people confuse SFM with RPM, and miscalculate feedrates. Not saying you've done this. But what if you did?)

Dang, even at .015 per tooth it shouldn't sound terrible with those settings on that machine.

Is the part being held good? Nice and stable setup?
Yeah its held in a 5 axis vise cerated hard jaws about maybe 3mm holding surface. We think this setup should work, as it is mild steel.

Maybe shouldn't sound terrible, but at the same time, I'd be trying more or less than 50%

70% would be better. Don't know if that'll leave you with a 30% cut later on in your facing program or something, which would also likely sound bad.

But what happens when you slow it down to .010 or something? and what about combining it with slow sfm? What have you tried?

And let me be that guy who asks the "dumb questions"... What RPM and feedrate are you running it at? (I have seen people confuse SFM with RPM, and miscalculate feedrates. Not saying you've done this. But what if you did?)
I have tried many different variations based on suggestions from others,
- 0.050 DOC, 0.008 feed per tooth on 5 insert, 800rpm
-0.020 DOC, 0.003 feed per tooth, 950rpm
- 0.030 DOC, 0.003 feed per tooth, 1690.225 (kennametal recommendation)
-0.040 DOC, 0.008 feed per tooth on 5 insert, 800rpm
couple other variations nothing seems to work.

I have tried many different variations based on suggestions from others,
- 0.050 DOC, 0.008 feed per tooth on 5 insert, 800rpm
-0.020 DOC, 0.003 feed per tooth, 950rpm
- 0.030 DOC, 0.003 feed per tooth, 1690.225 (kennametal recommendation)
-0.040 DOC, 0.008 feed per tooth on 5 insert, 800rpm
couple other variations nothing seems to work.
Mild steel, .02 depth of cut, you should be going at least 800-1000 sfpm. Which is 1500-2000 rpm. Any other depth of cut then I would stay around 800 sfpm.
All things being equal, I would look elsewhere for the issue because I just can't see it being in the facemill since you're not really hogging or pushing it to the extreme.
Unless an insert is loose or something strange like that, that's why I asked about the setup being stable.

Back