What's new
What's new

Kennametal insert feeds

dcorey

Plastic
Hey guys, I've never used much from kennametal before but i feel like im missing something. I dont see any recommended speeds/feeds/doc info anywhere online. I just see their websites points you to the app but not a single one of my inserts come up with anything of use on the app. I see a general diagram of the insert but as soon as you click the speeds/feeds tab it just says no cutting data available for my material selection despite not having a box for selecting material.

So my question is are all you kennametal guys just freeballing it? Where can i find cutting data for these these turning inserts? How can a company as big as kennametal get away with just not posting anything whatsoever in terms of recommended speeds/feeds outside of a nonfunctioning app? Every review on the app dating back several years just confirms the same thing im seeing with no response from kennametal.

Do you not have the same www as everyone else? I googled Kennametal Turning Catalog and was looking and feeds and speeds data within a minute.

If you're using very old inserts you might have to dig for a very old catalog. I have a list off a website that describes every Kennametal insert made since who know when. Can't find it on my home computer. If I find it at work I'll post it. Still you'd have to cross it to a modern one.

Found it... go to www.cets.com and hit resources. Kennnemetal will be one. (Cutting Edge Tool Supply)

Most of the time you just learn by trial and error. The numbers they give you are a starting range to try out. From there you fine tune based on tool life, finish and edge wear. What inserts are you using, and on what material and machine?

There used to be rules of thumb for this stuff. 2xNR for DOC, .5xNR for feed, CSx4 is where I've started.

NR- nose radius
CS- cutting speed
DOC- well.....

:popcorn:
Just to make it worse the composition or processing of a carbide grade may change over time.
New presses, new coating furnaces, powder supply changes.....even a new HVAC system in the plant can turn things upside down.
So a box from one year may be different in performance than a box from an earlier year.
The most famous fail here was VC-2.

Last edited:
:popcorn:
Just to make it worse the composition or processing of a carbide grade may change over time.
New presses, new coating furnaces, powder supply changes.....even a new HVAC system in the plant can turn things upside down.
So a box from one year may be different in performance than a box from an earlier year.
The most famous fail here was VC-2.

Definitely have noticed this a few times. Also the material is not always consistent either.

Back