What's new
What's new

Keyway Taper Sodick

trimneatsnob

Plastic
Hello,
I am after some help with keyway tapers. I have been successfully cutting parallel shaft keyways for couplings on our EDM, a Sodick AL6000Q.

Some work has arisen which requires the top of the keyway to have a 1/100th taper cutting all the way through. They are 80mm thick.
(I have attached a photo showing the top of the key, highlighted blue line)

I initially thought to cut the shaft circle out as 1 cut, then a rectangle shape as a second cut with the top of the rectangle cut as the 1/100th part taper.

Am I looking at this the same way as you far more competent wire guys would . Or is there a better solution to the task .

All comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_135925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_135925_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Not sure what you have for software, but many years ago when I was in the business, I would have just created upper and lower profiles (in this case: 80mm apart).

It's been years since I was in the business, but I rarely used any other method to cut 4-axis/tapered parts -- upper/lower profiles just worked rock-solid in Esprit.

PM

I program/run AG600L machines, I would do the program as a straight hole, and then just program a taper operation to cut the keyway as a separate cut. No reason to complicate your life by trying to run it as a single cut with taper. Doing it this way would guarantee the thru hole is as perfect as possible.

Reactions: ???
Hello,
I am after some help with keyway tapers. I have been successfully cutting parallel shaft keyways for couplings on our EDM, a Sodick AL6000Q.

Some work has arisen which requires the top of the keyway to have a 1/100th taper cutting all the way through. They are 80mm thick.
(I have attached a photo showing the top of the key, highlighted blue line)

I initially thought to cut the shaft circle out as 1 cut, then a rectangle shape as a second cut with the top of the rectangle cut as the 1/100th part taper.

Am I looking at this the same way as you far more competent wire guys would . Or is there a better solution to the task .

All comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Many thanks

One thing to take into consideration would be dealing with the slugs. If you cut the features separately, pending on the size of the cuts, you may need 2 program stops or something to get those out of the way, and how many do you need to cut?

Using 4axis with a top and bottom profile, if set-up correctly can probably save you some time at the machine, either way I think in this case it would be more about efficiency and how many slugs do you want to deal with.

Back