What's new
What's new

Kitamura H400 Fanuc 15 Gear change

Clymer

Plastic
I have a Kitamura H400 with 15M control that I'm trying to bring back to life. Reloaded parameters. 10k spindle. It runs about 40% of the commanded value. I'm thinking it doesn't know what gear it's in. I can't find any M codes to change gears, does it do this automatically based on the speed? I found some things in the ladder that indicate it is in gear 1. Any ideas?

Maybe the spindle drive is programmed with the slower max speed? My used Kitamura was. It still indicated the programmed speed on the control but the spindle spun at 40% of the programmed speed. I found documentation in the cabinet that it was intentional.

You will know which gear it is in based on the control panel. Right in the middle, on tthe line of LEDs above the switches, you will see "spindle speed" with H / M / L, which indicates which gear it is in.

I'm with Vancbiker, did you reload all the PMC parameters? I'm not positive which, if any, pmc parameters control spindle speed and stuff but that's the most obvious place to look.

I have one of these machines, maybe I can help. What year is your machine? I've got a newer one, 1998 with 15mb control. Screen is LCD to give you an idea.

By the way, when commanding a higher speed, the spindle will stop (if not stopped already), then it might jog a little bit while it changes gears, before confirming the gear change and spinning back up to proper speed. It is automatic, no need to specify gear

You will know which gear it is in based on the control panel. Right in the middle, on tthe line of LEDs above the switches, you will see "spindle speed" with H / M / L, which indicates which gear it is in.

I'm with Vancbiker, did you reload all the PMC parameters? I'm not positive which, if any, pmc parameters control spindle speed and stuff but that's the most obvious place to look.

I have one of these machines, maybe I can help. What year is your machine? I've got a newer one, 1998 with 15mb control. Screen is LCD to give you an idea.

By the way, when commanding a higher speed, the spindle will stop (if not stopped already), then it might jog a little bit while it changes gears, before confirming the gear change and spinning back up to proper speed. It is automatic, no need to specify gear
Yeah... my leds aren't working. I did load all of the keep relays, counters and data parameters. Mine is a 1995.

Maybe the spindle drive is programmed with the slower max speed? My used Kitamura was. It still indicated the programmed speed on the control but the spindle spun at 40% of the programmed speed. I found documentation in the cabinet that it was intentional.
Interesting, mine worked right when I bought it. Had a different issue after I moved it and it took me a few years to get around to sorting it all out. Reloaded the parameters I had downloaded before the move.

IDK which control version your 15m is. Mine is a 15mb.

Looks like parameters starting at 5600 are related to the spindle. Don't know for sure if the same parameters are valid for a 15ma if yours happens to be one. But here's my 5600 area parameters for you to compare to. It may not be the problem, but maybe?

N5600P00000000
N5601P00000000
N5602P00000000
N5603P00001000
N5604P00000110
N5605P00000110
N5606P00000001
N5607P00000011
N5608P00000000
N5609P00000000
N5610P0
N5611P2
N5612P0

Also attached are pmc parameters from my machine. Do not assume they are the exact same, it is just for reference in case something sticks out as a possible solution.

The ladder date in my machine is from mid 1997, for reference

Attachments

• PMC PARAMETERS COUNTERS ETC .txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 3
IDK which control version your 15m is. Mine is a 15mb.

Looks like parameters starting at 5600 are related to the spindle. Don't know for sure if the same parameters are valid for a 15ma if yours happens to be one. But here's my 5600 area parameters for you to compare to. It may not be the problem, but maybe?

N5600P00000000
N5601P00000000
N5602P00000000
N5603P00001000
N5604P00000110
N5605P00000110
N5606P00000001
N5607P00000011
N5608P00000000
N5609P00000000
N5610P0
N5611P2
N5612P0

Also attached are pmc parameters from my machine. Do not assume they are the exact same, it is just for reference in case something sticks out as a possible solution.

The ladder date in my machine is from mid 1997, for reference
Thanks! I think this is the right track. Could I get the rest of your 5600-5803 parameters? The ones you listed above match mine, but I've got some questions on others. 5621-5628 are the maximum spindle speed corresponding to gear #n, and 5641-5647 are spindle speed at gear switching points, but mine are all 0s.

Attached
Thanks! I think this is the right track. Could I get the rest of your 5600-5803 parameters? The ones you listed above match mine, but I've got some questions on others. 5621-5628 are the maximum spindle speed corresponding to gear #n, and 5641-5647 are spindle speed at gear switching points, but mine are all 0s.
I'm not at work but all of the parameters up to around 5700 were all 0.

Attached are all parameters. Again, you might have a 15ma, not sure, but mine is surely a 15mb.

Attachments

• ws71 10-28-21 parameters.txt
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
At this point, you might want to call kitamura and ask for technical support.

They MIGHT tell you it is a fanuc problem and to call fanuc. Fanuc would probably tell you its a kitamura problem as it is up to kitamura to implement gear changes.

Hopefully one of them will have some information that points you in the right direction.

Question: Is this the only issue with the machine right at the moment? Does it change tools fine? I only ask because the gear change is hydraulic, and I suddenly wondered if your hydraulic pump is working and turning the correct way. But I would expect any hydraulic system to not be functioning, including things like the drawbar or atc items.

At this point, you might want to call kitamura and ask for technical support.

They MIGHT tell you it is a fanuc problem and to call fanuc. Fanuc would probably tell you its a kitamura problem as it is up to kitamura to implement gear changes.

Hopefully one of them will have some information that points you in the right direction.

Question: Is this the only issue with the machine right at the moment? Does it change tools fine? I only ask because the gear change is hydraulic, and I suddenly wondered if your hydraulic pump is working and turning the correct way. But I would expect any hydraulic system to not be functioning, including things like the drawbar or atc items.
It's a long story, lol. The machine worked fine when I bought it, except for an ATC error. I think a proximity switch, but an easy fix. After moving it, everything worked manually, except the atc, but programs always gave a 'start rejected' error. Talked with dozens of techs, and nobody had any clue. Since I couldn't run a program, I couldn't command a spindle speed and it wouldn't manually start the spindle either. However, coolant pumps and things did confirm correct wiring. After a couple of years, and a couple of parameter reloadings from old batteries, I finally found a stuck switch in the pallet changer that was giving me the start rejected error. I'm trying to rehab it and bring it back online now. Several years of setting have caused some other sticky switch type issues, but I think I'm getting there.

Back