What's new
What's new

Knurl question

Alex G.

Plastic
Hello fellow chip makers. I'm going to run a part that calls for a "raised diamond knurl .800 " . Haven't seen it called out like that befor. Would that be a medium knurl? Thanks in advance.

Ask the customer to be sure. I would make sure the O.D. of the knurls are .800". Diamond sizes can vary quite a bit, you are over .750" already so you can run fine to course diamonds easily.

I would wager that the 0.800 is the diameter of the part after knurling???....???
This assumes your part is less than Ø.800"

I get that type of call out occasionally, and it requires clarification every time.
As stated above, getting a picture or sample of the knurl they want is CYA.

Doug

If you have not bought your knurling tool yet, buy a cut knurl. Not a form knurl. Cut knurling provides much better results.

Youll also need to know the pitch of the knurl. And there is a formula for how much the material will be raised after the knurl. For instance a 16TPI knurl will raise about .035" so the blank needs to be smaller.

Is there a call out for the rest of the OD? Or is it a completely knurled surface? TPI callout? On ours we put a finish OD callout and finish knurl callout to eliminate any confusion .

The print clearly specs a "Raised Diamond Knurl", and you're telling him to go buy a cut knurl?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
You are right. However, a cut knurl will give a better result, when allowed the use of.

If you need to pick up any knurling tools, wheels, etc, I recommend Accu-Trak. (Thanks for recommending them years ago, Ox.)
Their tooling is excellent, and all the setup/ formulas/ hints are on their site, waiting to be read.

Doug

If you need to pick up any knurling tools, wheels, etc, I recommend Accu-Trak. (Thanks for recommending them years ago, Ox.)
Their tooling is excellent, and all the setup/ formulas/ hints are on their site, waiting to be read.

Doug
+1 for Accu-Trak. Their tech support guys LOVE to talk knurling, too.

OP This is a Raised Cut Knurl using a Dorian Knurling head on a CNC. But we do about 30 of these a year.
Ive been told by a few guys who have been doing this trade these are some of the best knurls they have saw.

Attachments

• knurlforforums.jpg
    knurlforforums.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 12
Are you saying that _ that is not the tool, but rather the part?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Im saying that the right tool will make the best knurls. I have made knurls using a form knurling tool which requires LOTS of pressure. The Cut knurl uses less pressure and seems to make a far better and defined knurl.

Doug
They are local to me and have been around since I was born in 1985. Great guys to work with.

Im saying that the right tool will make the best knurls. I have made knurls using a form knurling tool which requires LOTS of pressure. The Cut knurl uses less pressure and seems to make a far better and defined knurl.

The unit in the pic;
Is that tool or part?

It looks to be a female double knurl roll, but I take it that you are saying that your cut knurl made that part.
???

Form knurls doo use force, but if you use a scissors unit, then your machine doesn't see any pressure, and you are not trying to bend the part away.

If you are concerned about crushing the part, sure - same as roll threading.

What is the time required?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The unit in the pic;
Is that tool or part?

It looks to be a female double knurl roll, but I take it that you are saying that your cut knurl made that part.
???

Form knurls doo use force, but if you use a scissors unit, then your machine doesn't see any pressure, and you are not trying to bend the part away.

If you are concerned about crushing the part, sure - same as roll threading.

What is the time required?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
That was the part I made. I have a photo of the tool itself also. But the scissor types take up a lot of space and honestly have been substandard to a dual wheel cutting thread tool.
This part took 45 seconds to make that knurl. And that was in D2. Ive tried to use Scissor types on D2 and doesnt yield great results.

Back