What's new
What's new

Kurt Vice Alternative?

I purchased a Glacern vise (6", reverse style), believing the comments that it was as good as the Kurt. The Kurt is better.

The Glacern had excessive play when tightening and loosening, and could not be adjusted to remove the play. I had to add a thicker thrust washer to reduce the play between the thrust bearing and the mating surface.

Let me repeat, the Kurt is better.

Unless you have never used a Kurt, you would not know how much better the Kurt is, compared to other brands.

Thank you for replying. I was wondering just that, as the price seems to good to be true. Since Kurt is a US company also, and does make a quality product, it's hard to see how someone could do the same and beat them on price at such a large margin, but still have the same quality.

I have a Kurt 6" and want a 4", but just can't spring for that at the moment.

I have a Girardi and I don't really like it. The exposed thread for clamping is always getting crap in it so it can't be turned without
a wrench. The jaws manage to get bits of swarf behind and under them and need to be cleaned fairly often.
It clamps well and was nice and "square". I have one of the extra movable jaws with v-notches, it's handy.
It can be flipped on it's side for some setups. Has it's place but not my first choice for everyday use.
Bottem line is I won't buy another Girardi, but don't mind having it around for some jobs.
David

I have a Gerardi with the swivel base,new in the nice wooden case they come in. A really nice piece of work. the vise can move along the base should you need to shift it(I don't see why,but it can). It has special features that prevent lifting of the part. The angled jaws slide down a bit to counteract lifting the work,a clever solution. Everything is hardened and ground. I can see that it could get chips in it,though.

But,I also have a nearly new Kurt which I'm used to,so I use it.

I bought a TeCo about 2 months ago.

The newest Kurt I have ever used was about 1 year old when I got to it, so I have never used as brand new Kurt.

It seems this TeCo is just as good or better than the Kurt.

Like said above it opens 9" and is 6" wide.

Has a really smooth feel to it.

Clamps evenly across, pulls down good on the parallels.

Also it is made by Parlec. I think in Ohio????

There are metal tags on it. I'll get some pics of the tags.

The main thing is: With free shipping & 10% off, it was delivered to my door for $338.00 from Enco.

This is just my opinion. Because I have never used a brand new out of the box Kurt.

JAckal

From experience, had to make due with my first crap mill and got crap vices. 2 6" vices at $99 each. They are excellent door stops. And work fine if you need to hold .01. Don't do it, just get a Kurt and get some work done.

I bought a TeCo about 2 months ago.

The newest Kurt I have ever used was about 1 year old when I got to it, so I have never used as brand new Kurt.

It seems this TeCo is just as good or better than the Kurt.

Like said above it opens 9" and is 6" wide.

Has a really smooth feel to it.

Clamps evenly across, pulls down good on the parallels.

Also it is made by Parlec. I think in Ohio????

There are metal tags on it. I'll get some pics of the tags.

The main thing is: With free shipping & 10% off, it was delivered to my door for $338.00 from Enco.

This is just my opinion. Because I have never used a brand new out of the box Kurt.

JAckal

I've got a Parlec here. It's fine, but it is certainly not US made. Says Taiwan on the tag. Parlec doesn't actually make anything. They just sells things with their name on them, like Fowler or SPI.

I could be wrong,but I don't think Wilton makes anything anymore. My expensive Square Wheel grinder was made in Taiwan. For what they cost,I expected it to be USA,but,no. Not even the one I bought in 1986.

I could be wrong,but I don't think Wilton makes anything anymore. My expensive Square Wheel grinder was made in Taiwan. For what they cost,I expected it to be USA,but,no. Not even the one I bought in 1986.

Pretty sure there still around. Not sure if there making machining vices or not tho. I have a older 4" toolmakers wilton. That is on one mill and I have a kurt 3600V on the other. Would like to get a kurt for the one mill, but having two matching is what I really need for bigger / longer items. I got my kurt for a song. Will never find one that cheap agine. My first vice I bought used with little to no real insite on what makes a good vice. The happiest day of my life so far has been the day I unbolted that POS off the bridgeport table, tossed it in the scrap, and bolted down my first kurt!

Zombie thread!

I am pretty sure Orange is former Glacern people. Not saying that's a bad thing. But it might help you understand.

I have two Kurts bought new and do not regret the few extra dollars. I don't even think about the vises much, to be honest. They just... work. They make a good foundation upon which to build.

does anybody have experience with the arange vices? how do they hold up? are they of good quality? Orange Vise Company - Quick-Change CNC Machine Vises

I have two Orange vises and a bunch of the jaws and other accessories. They have been excellent, made in the USA of high quality materials. In my shop I have these, a few Kurts, and in the past a couple of eastern import vises. The Orange have been the best, even compared to the Kurts.

When you stop and think about it, Vises are similar to buying shoes or a mattress.. Not a good place to skimp and save, when you look at the number of hours you are going to use such items. Consider this: A 6 inch Kurt can be bought and shipped for under 500 dollars.. Over ten years, that is less than 14 cents a day.. So a cheap vise will cost 10 cents a day.. Is it worth putting up with a sorry POS vise for 4 cents a day?? I have had other brands, but all of my everyday vises are Kurts..

Best part about ordering Kurt vises? Watching the delivery guy struggle to get them in the shop...LOL...

Seriously though, spend the money know instead of paying for new tooling, parts, jaws, etc... In the end, Kurt vises are the standard that everyone else strives for....

-Duckman, it must have been a defect... we have two sets of 8" vises and they are/were perfect from the box to the table.... Sorry to hear about that!

LMAO! We ordered 8 of the D688s a few months ago. Our Brown truck guy kind of takes it as an insult when we meet him outside to help on heavy stuff that we know is coming (buffed up gym guy). We were laughing our asses off watching him struggle with the damn things the next day, peeking out between the blinds. Then he dropped one trying to bring in 2 at a time with the dolly and we ran out to help the poor guy.

Probably shouldn't have received that one in but we checked it out pretty thoroughly and it didn't have a bump or scratch on it. Love the Kurts, our oldest have been around for 16 years and see daily use. We have over 20 of them now.

One additional thought, concerning the Parlecs. They're not terrible (definitely seen worse) but of the 5 of them we have here, no two hard jaws are the same height and they are all 1.752+ in height. The Kurts are 1.735" and using standard (imperial) parallels I can skim right over top of the jaws without worrying about hitting them when machining. Difficult to explain what I mean but let's say I'm facing a part to a fractional size, like 0.750". I can put the part on 1.000" parallels and have a hold of 98% of it. With the Parlecs I have to use the next size up parallel. That irks me to no end. One of these days I'll have them ground to match the Kurts.

In addition, two of them are bastards. If you have the vises all in a line and indicated in and try to move the jaws to the rear, they don't line up. We won't be buying anymore of them.

Back