What's new
What's new

Kustomizer's Shop

We just had our first month in 2 years where we made more than we spent, all the contractors are gone and the last of them paid, we have been getting normalish work days in and are mostly settled in finally. I made some drink tokens and a rack to store them in from some poorly made shift knob inserts.
IMG_4667.jpgIMG_4668.jpgIMG_4669.jpgIMG_4670.jpgIMG_4673.jpg

I have been asked to make oil and amp gauges for the old KJ Henderson motorcycles, as luck would have it I was able to find NOS gauges from the late 20's and 30's that have most of the right components, the oil housing is exactly right except the mounting studs are too long but as near as I can tell Henderson had to shorten them too when they originally built the bikes. the needle and gears will work the Bourdon tube and main body will need changed, the former I can rob from a NOS 2oo lb gauge and the body I will have to make. I was hoping to reuse the faces but they are not flat from being riveted so we made new ones.
IMG_4611.jpgIMG_4612.jpgIMG_4613.jpgIMG_4614.jpgIMG_4615.jpg

Those poker pcs or whatnot look expensive. (lots of time?)
Or maybe you have made a stamp and then just press that figure into those gold coins?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those poker pcs or whatnot look expensive. (lots of time?)
Or maybe you have made a stamp and then just press that figure into those gold coins?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

They are bronze with a painted background, yep, they are stamped in a coining press. We had a place that made them for us for years then one day we ordered them and they had thrown out the dies saying we hadn't ordered them in six months was the reasoning. After some back and forth they made a new die for the ones you see but they made the die with a "dam" around the Indian head about .015 wide and .03 tall which is not how they need to be, they then made several hundred in various colors before shipping us one like they said they would. In the end, we didn't pay them, they didn't want the parts back so I have been moving them from here to there for several years as they were not good enough to sell but too good to throw away, some of them got used here but there are a bunch left. We just had another place make a die for them a year or so back, they also didn't send one but ran 100 of them with an ugly flat face, remade the die and made real nice parts. A month later we ordered a different color and got the ugly flat face again, they tossed the good die and kept the bad one, so they are in the process of making a new die as we speak so yes, they are somewhat expensive though we have not had the worst share of the cost but rather the aggravation. I really hate having to rely on outside vendors but as you know, we can't make every damn thing we need.

They are bronze with a painted background, yep, they are stamped in a coining press. We had a place that made them for us for years then one day we ordered them and they had thrown out the dies saying we hadn't ordered them in six months was the reasoning. After some back and forth they made a new die for the ones you see but they made the die with a "dam" around the Indian head about .015 wide and .03 tall which is not how they need to be, they then made several hundred in various colors before shipping us one like they said they would. In the end, we didn't pay them, they didn't want the parts back so I have been moving them from here to there for several years as they were not good enough to sell but too good to throw away, some of them got used here but there are a bunch left. We just had another place make a die for them a year or so back, they also didn't send one but ran 100 of them with an ugly flat face, remade the die and made real nice parts. A month later we ordered a different color and got the ugly flat face again, they tossed the good die and kept the bad one, so they are in the process of making a new die as we speak so yes, they are somewhat expensive though we have not had the worst share of the cost but rather the aggravation. I really hate having to rely on outside vendors but as you know, we can't make every damn thing we need.

What a nightmare! Good grief.

I have had very similar experiences with casting foundries. There's so much stupid out there.

Perhaps this will kick the ol remember in gear
Bobby Bare - Marie Laveau - YouTube

I heard "Detroit City" (I Wunna Go Home) on the ray dee eye oh the other day, and they said that it was Bobby.
I didn't recognize it via the title when researching earlier, but if it was called "Wunna Go Home" I might have.
The riff in that tuna is just so iconic! (Like someone unplugged the turntable while playing LOL!)

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

It has been taking a break with the rain and I got back on the little shop, finished the steel wallpaper, added a sub panel along with six 50 amp outlets ( some are on smaller breakers ) for welders, plasma cutter, sheet metal shear, air compressor and a phase converter for my Iron worker. The last piece of wall around the door was the worst of the lot as everything about the door was crooked but it was already trimmed on the outside and spray foamed in so I opted to make crooked trim to avoid buying a new door.
IMG_4986.jpgIMG_4987.jpgIMG_4988.jpgIMG_4989.jpgIMG_4990.jpgIMG_4991.jpgIMG_4993.jpgIMG_4992.jpgIMG_4994.jpgIMG_4995.jpg

Today I was a cabinet maker in the little shop, 1/8" aluminum diamond plate for the cabinet, 3/8 for the top, it will get finished to get the gauges out and smooth the edges in the morning then I can mount it and start the plumbing, I will be welding and grinding in this building so I am trying to not have exposed wood.
IMG_5027.jpgIMG_5029.jpgIMG_5028.jpg

Just based on how often I bash into things in my shop, I'd put a healthy (like minimum 1") radius on that front left corner. I can feel the hip gouges just looking at it. :-)

I'm going to round all the edges a bit but the left side gets a 18cf beer fridge against it so it will be set back from the front of the fridge 4 inches and quite safe. Thanks for looking out for me.

Now I have the task of finding homes for things, so far the only things "put away " are the things in the bolt bins and the few things on the peg boards. There are 16 of the big green totes of tools and things to put up, woohoo!

Back