What's new
What's new

Lane Furniture terminates 2,500 employees via Email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

standardparts

Diamond
Lane Furniture terminates, depending on source, up to 2,700 employees by email.
"The company, which has operated under the Lane brand in recent years, sent an e-mail, overnight, that immediately terminates all employees, with the exception of over-the-road drivers currently out on delivery." No doubt various state agencies will get involved.
Can't find any speculation as to why the company pulled the plug on manufacturing:

Business prefer to add employees because that means they are healthy and expect more orders. Most business who layoff employees usually wait too long hoping business will pick up. That means they should have laid those people off sooner.

From the linked:
",,,Your layoff from the Company is expected to be permanent and all benefits will be terminated immediately without provision of COBRA."
So they don't want to follow the rules.

We're in Twitter territory here, with the company ignoring WARN Act requirements. Will be interested to see how the company C-level types protest about how they had no choice (while having siphoned off funds first).

We're in Twitter territory here, with the company ignoring WARN Act requirements. Will be interested to see how the company C-level types protest about how they had no choice (while having siphoned off funds first).
"Twitter territory"---Really?
Other than a reports of being notified by email not to come to work what "territory" are we in?

Again, pending details, it's likely the furniture company could not make payroll which likely means the bank closed their line of credit and possibly called loans---again just speculation pending more info.
And "pending more info"....There will be a long line of creditors with Fed and State at the top of the list. By the time it all shakes out many will find other jobs and some will exit the workforce.
Most probably if it goes to bankruptcy, lawyers will cut out a fair share of what remains of company assets. Hey---Watch for the suctions right? Supposedly they had a stamping plant someplace.

The owner of Twitter did what he felt he had to do and appears to have plenty of money to pay for any errors in the decision making process. The furniture company guy(s)..probably...not so much.

From the linked:
",,,Your layoff from the Company is expected to be permanent and all benefits will be terminated immediately without provision of COBRA."
So they don't want to follow the rules.
Yeah, saw that about "Cobra". Unless things have changed I wonder how many would be able to afford continuation of benefits...if there were any to begin with.

The owner of Twitter did what he felt he had to do and appears to have plenty of money to pay for any errors in the decision making process. The furniture company guy(s)..probably...not so much.

Don't you blaspheme in here!
Don't you blaspheme in here!

(Said Aretha Franklin playing a small business owner in a movie.)

"The owner of Twitter did what he felt he had to do and appears to have plenty of money..."

Yeah, minus 44 billion dollars.

~~~~~~~~~~~Mod Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Political Baiting removed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Lane is a multinational corporation. Warn act is only enforced by workers suing- so a bunch of 8.00 hr workers finding lawyer and two years is taken into account on what they pay out. The workers won’t even get that.

Not surprised. I've suspected for some time they were on a downhill slide. A while back while attempting to settle a relative's estate I tried to buy a replacement key for an old cedar chest. After getting the manufacturing information off the bottom panel I tried to communicate with them re a key. Internet, phone and email all brought no response. Eventually I gave up, unscrewed the hinges and reached in to unscrew the lock.

Sad indeed, another legacy USA brand down the tubes, likely to have the name licensed to some make-it-in-China outfit as has happened to so many famous brands..

He, $44B here, $44B there, pretty soon yer talkin some *real* money.

Maybe these anti-woke morons could bail him out:

Wingnuts never learn, sometimes the man-bun folks have all the cash. We now return you to musk-adoration.

We now return you to musk-adoration.
I don't adore him. But I do like when he buys shit from my company.

I do like to follow his antics because he get's under your skin.

BTW, can you please post the picture of your motorcycle collection again.
I hope you still have them. There's a dude up the street from me that has a really old indian inlne four that he rides around our street. I don't know the year, but it's a belt drive.

He, $44B here, $44B there, pretty soon yer talkin some *real* money.

Maybe these anti-woke morons could bail him out:

Wingnuts never learn, sometimes the man-bun folks have all the cash. We now return you to musk-adoration.
Rolling Stone?---"Anti-Woke Morons"? LOL
Anyway---Online payment schemes are many and few succeed as becoming the choice of online payments or even coming close to the success of Paypal.
Paypal was the first that dominated and the success of Paypal provided Elon Musk with a whole lot of capitol. (After the company sold, Musk left his role at PayPal and used his profits of about $175 million to fund investments, including Tesla and SpaceX.) Sorry Jim R...some on PM no longer are Musk fans.....
Oddly enough the $44B number is close to what the mega Democrat donor Sam Bankman-Fried FTX collapse involved. Some say it will rival Enron. The guy Rolling Stone writes about is a mere rookie when it comes to financial disasters---Of course RS could have done a story about Bankman-Fried but no doubt that would have their followers...the same who used to be acolytes of Musk/Tesla.

What is interesting is how less than a year ago so many posts touting EVs. So many posts singing the praise of Tesla and Elon Musk. Now, it seems, Mr. Musk has somehow done something to arouse the ire of liberals by laying off employees and allowing a somewhat unfettered use of free speech on his platform.
Oddly enough another platform, Facebook, has announced the furlough of up to 11,000 employees but that seems to be off media radar. Only thing I can figure is Zuckerberg with a Z comes after Musk with a M in the alphabet. Can't think of any other reason to single out Musk.

Last edited:
"I do like to follow his antics because he get's under your skin."

Not. I'm just waiting for the crash/burn. Purely a spectator here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back