What's new
What's new

Large capacity 5 Axis Mill

LccJester

Plastic
We are looking to buy a 5 axis machine that has 70" travel in Z. Do any of you have any recommendations of brands that have that kind of travel? Along with some contours we would have to bore holes through 35". The materials we will be machining are relatively soft.

We are looking to buy a 5 axis machine that has 70" travel in Z.

In Z ?? So what do you need in x and y ? We're talking gantry mill here, ya know. Forest-Line is in North Amrica (canada actually) if you want to stay local.

(If you look at the Okumas ? They have the weirdest toolchanger on the planet. I thought the thing was going to go down to 7-11 and buy a six-pack during the change, there were so many motions. Strange).

Do you need simultaneous 5-axis, or just 5-sided?

If you're looking for a vertical-type mill (gantry, double-column, etc.):
Forest-Line (already mentioned)
Unisign
Zimmermann (They have a very neat model that doesn't need a massive foundation. All of the loads are carried internally)
SNK

If you're looking for a post mill, Union makes a really nice machine. My old employer had one and it was great. Fixturing a part is a little more difficult than on a gantry or double-column, but they're incredibly versatile. Ours had a straight head, a 90 degree head, and an adjustable 3+2 head. I think ours had 80" of Z. Foundation requirements are significant.

Do you need simultaneous 5-axis, or just 5-sided?

If you're looking for a vertical-type mill (gantry, double-column, etc.):
Forest-Line (already mentioned)
Unisign
Zimmermann (They have a very neat model that doesn't need a massive foundation. All of the loads are carried internally)
SNK

If you're looking for a post mill, Union makes a really nice machine. My old employer had one and it was great. Fixturing a part is a little more difficult than on a gantry or double-column, but they're incredibly versatile. Ours had a straight head, a 90 degree head, and an adjustable 3+2 head. I think ours had 80" of Z. Foundation requirements are significant.
we're taking delivery on a 6x3m Zimmerman in a month. 1.5m in Z, i'm pretty sure they have higher Z options as well. seem to be a very solid machine.

we're taking delivery on a 6x3m Zimmerman in a month. 1.5m in Z, i'm pretty sure they have higher Z options as well. seem to be a very solid machine.
Which style did you get, the self-contained one or the foundation one?

Probably Corria, think they have a 2.5 m vertical from what I read, it’s a big machine!, many zeros after the price, I should imagine a lot of civil work in the foundation myself.
Mark

reminds me of the matsuura LX160, the pallet changer mechanism was insanely complicated, something like 20 distinct movement positions to change a pallet.

Is OP looking for a router? His parameters sound kind of like a big router for trimming plastic or fiberglass parts after they come out of the (roto)mold.

Back