What's new
What's new

Large early 1900s micrometer

tigathread

Plastic
I have a huge micrometer that is stamped with the name of my great grandfather, probably from the early 1900s. It's not marked otherwise. I think he was some kind of toolmaker so he might have made it. It's quite big- the piece pictured is probably 20" long, and it attaches to another piece to double its length.

I've searched around and haven't found any micrometer that uses this bar and slide configuration. Was is a common type ever?

Fortunately it's been in a locked case for most of its life so it's in nice shape. What's a good oil to clean it with? I was thinking gun oil, but I'm sure the forum has better ideas.

I will take more/better pictures later this week.

Attachments

• xx.t.jpg
    xx.t.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 69
  • xx.2.jpg
    xx.2.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 66
There have been other older threads on this forum where shop made micrometers have been shown and links to articles describing how to make some models of shop made micrometers of various types were posted .
Here is one
where I posted this link
I seem to remember an article on how to make one similar to yours but can't remember what old magazine I saw it in at the moment .
Jim

Yes I would think your grand dad made it. It looks every bit what we refer to as shop made,meaningnot a factory prduct. I have seen the extended bar feature before but it is rare. You are lucky to have it. Being stamped with his name makes it 10Xs better. What was his name?
Frederick Butler Hamilton, stamped "F B Hamilton". He would have been around Scranton, PA.

There's actually a second, smaller micrometer, of the same design. I thought I had pictures of it but didn't. Both have gages included in the box. I'll take better pictures later this week.

Back