What's new
What's new

Large Eccentric Shaft

Bungees, straps, rope, or duct tape for a third hand. Depending on the application.

Come to think of it I even once used a wood block held by a C clamp.

I have set up a support block on the opposite side to hold the anvil at the right height, (good) have held the mic up in the air by the center with an overhead crane, (meh) and several other methods. Don't like doing that for final measurements though. Another guy holding the anvil in tight contact right next to the work always worked better and gave me a better feel.

I wonder what the difference would be standing vertical up as shown, vs hanging horizontal from an overhead crane.

I wonder what the difference would be standing vertical up as shown, vs hanging horizontal from an overhead crane.

It can be considerable. That's why you generally check to the standard in whatever orientation that you'll be using to measure. Sometimes you need to add or subtract a little. Very large mics are somewhat flexible. I remember especially using huge inside mics, you could see the flex/sag looking down the mic. I used to tape rag "handles" where I wanted a helper to grip, so that the hold position was as close as possible to the same when measuring as when checking the standard.

Back