What's new
What's new

Large machine tools by Noble and Lund

Thanks to Tony and the others who have posted here since.
There is an older thread on this forum that showed some of the Doxford pictures but they are no longer viewable there.
It appears that the information from Alfons's site has been hosted here now .
I was able to get these,
to display in a large format on my screen .
The lathe in that picture reminds me a lot of a mid 1950s German made Heyligenstaedt lathe that is local to me.
this one is a newer version from a Google image search .
Jim

Peter,

Thanks. I agree about the maker's nameplate.

That's a very beefy bed. Looking at the cross slide and the gubbins on the end of the bed, I wonder if it has some sort of tracing apparatus?

There are some similarities to these T Lathes that turned up onTony's site from a Google Image search image search
Jim
Look at the bases of the machines Jim. On almost every D/D lathe the holding down bolt holes are open ended slots. This is a really good idea that makes installing the holding down bolts a lot easier. The lathe in the photo has conventional holes in the base.

If you’re installing a lathe like the one in the photo you can hide the rag bolts down the hole in the foundation and then position the lathe over the holes and bring the rag bolts up through the holes in the base. Doable but fiddly. Or if you have a big enough over head crane you can place all the rag bolts in their respective holes in the base and carefully lower the whole lathe down over the foundation.
With the slots in the base as the D/D lathes you can slide the rag bolts in from the front. It’s a lot easier.

Been there and got several tee shirts when it comes to installation work.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
The East Lancs Railway have an old Noble & Lund lathe, I think it was built as an axle/journal lathe but I believe they are going to use it for doing tyre profiling as well with a bit of modification. I'll try and get a photo next time I am in their shop.

Strangely enough, we have an Avery Universal Testing machine at work that came from Doxfords.

The central engineering workshop at port talbot picked up a fair amount of Doxford kit, along with Denison and Amsler thick plate tensile testing machines, used to jump when the bugger broke a 1” or 3/4 thick even when I knew it was coming, hell of a bang.
Mark

Back