What's new
What's new

Large size slotted roll (spring) pin

rich-machine

Plastic
Gents

I'm working on a large German manufactured roller mill and urgently need 40 mm OD x 26 mm ID x 50 mm long slotted roll pins. I've searched online and do not see any roll pins of such size. Most vendors stock much smaller sizes.

Does anyone know where I can source such a part? The OEM lead time is too long.

Pics attached

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 69
What is the usage? It looks more like a split bushing than a roll pin. Is there a shaft through the bore? Is it hard? (file test, sound)

See if you can order an ejector sleeve and split it with a abrasive cut off wheel.

That appears to be precision ground and is most likely hardened. Maybe get some solid stock and drill and spit. You might be able to get 40mm oversize prehard stock if you are worried about hardness.
I work on a lot of German equipment with all kinds spit & roll pins but have not came across any that large.
I can under stand not wanting to vary from oe on expensive equipment.

Definitely a special part ......not rolled from sheet as is a roll pin ,but solid machined and slit .......Id suggest you make your own .,or reuse what you have .

Thanks all, its part of a large bearing assembly. Looks like making a new one will be the only option unfortunately. I'll see what my local machine shop can do. I am reusing 3 of the 4, one of them was damaged during removal.

Last edited:
may want to get your eyes tested, doesn't look like it's been within 50' of a precision grinder of any sort
Ok expert tell us how it was made. It appears to have been finished to size and fractured. All the smaller pins I have worked with that were called "precision fit" (which in this case a relative term) were rough ground finish. Never seen a turned finish but have never had a 40mm one.

How do they get removed? Are they internal threaded for a slide hammer. Might add threads to the new one before it is hardened. Or an internal groove might help next time. Just make the groove far away from the parting line in the casting. Likely near top or bottom of the pin
Bill D

Thanks all, its part of a large bearing assembly. Looks like making a new one will be the only option unfortunately. I'll see what my local machine shop can do. I am reusing 3 of the 4, one of them was damaged during removal.
Is it magnetic? If it's steel, it cannot be compressed in OD all that much. Maybe some kind of bronze?

See if you can order an ejector sleeve and split it with an abrasive cut off wheel.
an ejector sleeve is hardened anx made from a different steel. and not designed to deform. It would likely crack instead

an ejector sleeve is hardened anx made from a different steel. and not designed to deform. It would likely crack instead
Ejector sleeves come in all types of states and materials. Soft, through hardened and nitrided.

Ejector sleeves come in all types of states and materials. Soft, through hardened and nitrided.
You learn something new everyday… I’ve never heard of soft ejector sleeves!

Back