What's new
What's new

Large verticals for facing operation

jbhill

Cast Iron
Since this seems to be the best place for questions about large machines I'll give it a shot. We need a large vertical to use to take some light cuts in aluminum with a 20" facemill. I have seen some simplex verticals that would appear to work well. Other than extremely large machines are there any common machines that could handle this? We are using a #5 Cincinnati now and it is very worn and just won't do the job fast enough... Thanks! Jason

FWIW, my pristine Cincinnati Milacron 415-16 is for sale. Being 1978 vintage should have pretty fast travels and spindle speeds, but don't remember exact specs.
cinn1.jpg

I can't believe you would sell such a beautiful machine! But it looks a bit small for this job. I think the Vercipower would be perfect. Thanks for the help!

When one talks about big machines, the first thing comes to mind is Ingersoll, but most of there machines are way too big for most.

So how big of a machine is big?

John

Big being so relative I should have defined this a bit more. The part is 16"x20" and we're taking .045" off of the top using a 20" facemill, we hope buy a better 18" facemill at some point. The part is an aluminum casting. So in this case big would be at least 50 spindle HP, 50"+ travel in X (60" would be nice), and it would probably weigh at least 10 ton... That being said, I'm sure that is quite small to some!

What about a horizontal? I've seen a few cheap boring mills that could handle the 20 inch face mill with ease. Rigging would cost more than the mill, but I don't have a line on one now.

OKAY DON, you say your mill's for sale, but it's not on your web site. That's an awfully fine looking machine, that would look good sitting next to a Brown and Sharpe turret drill- kind of like brothers. You gonna put it on your web site or is this invitation only?

Brian, my website is a mess...stuff on there I should remove, much more stuff I never get around to adding. I've got a 1996 Lagun mill I've owned 4 years now that I haven't put on there yet !

Re the Cincinnati on there...dunno...am reluctant to put machines on there where the price might seem too high without detailed explaination as to why ! ;)

"price might seem too high without detailed explaination as to why !"

Most anyone that knows those mills will know it's gona be high, they dont make them anymore and NO one else does either.

That Dial Type is a jewel awaiting someone who knows quality.

It never ran production, no automatic cycle, Toolroom only work.

Yoder Machinery in Holland, OH has the only other late 415-16 I could find listed on the web. (STOCK #13290)

There's is not original paint, looks like hell, and doesn't have the vertical head. Their "asking" price is $17,500 !

I'd sell mine for a little less ;)

Back