What's new
What's new

Latest single to 3 phase vfd’s? 15-20hp?

Hello All,

I am familiar with the WJ200 series vfd’s and have been running the largest model from 10 years back powering a 10hp 3 phase motor.

Searching around it seems there are now 15-20hp models being advertised for single to 3 phase but l am not familiar with the manufacturers and specs/ amp ratings don’t make sense to me.

Are any of you familiar with any Full load starter vfd’s that can run a 15hp 3 phase motor like the WJ200 series?

Or am l looking at 30-40hp 3 phase unit and derate for single phase input?

Tell us more about what you are trying to achieve.
I run a 12.5 hp lathe off a 15 hp VFD, fed by single phase.
In theory my VFD is not rated high enough, but it works fine as long as I watch the amps.
Bob

In one of the threads PM auto linked as "similar" there was this suggestion for a Fuji drive:

I am also curious about the state of these things. I have a 15 HP three phase vacuum pump I want to run. When the vacuum oil is cold it uses quite a bit of current. It would put me into a large phase perfect to run the shop + the vacuum pump. But somewhat smaller of a phase perfect to just run the shop with the vacuum pump being on its own VFD.

In one of the threads PM auto linked as "similar" there was this suggestion for a Fuji drive:

I am also curious about the state of these things. I have a 15 HP three phase vacuum pump I want to run. When the vacuum oil is cold it uses quite a bit of current. It would put me into a large phase perfect to run the shop + the vacuum pump. But somewhat smaller of a phase perfect to just run the shop with the vacuum pump being on its own VFD.
Hear ya, the Hitachi will run 15hp on a fan or low amp start up, but don’t think it will handle hard starts.

A little surprised after all the years that vfd’s have become so popular single to 3 phase, that Hitachi and others didn’t up the HP offerings.

Cost vs demand l’m guessing. Probably not many wanting to run 15-20hp off single phase

Automation Direct has them, will run 15hp with single/ph input.
But you're probably not going to spend the money..... :willy_nilly:
We use their drives for equipment we sell, no issues for the years we have used them.
The Hitachi’s were a Great price point and bought them all new. (Was not worth messing with derating larger used 3 phase to me)

Unfortunately l’m in Canada, so whatever the US price, costs us significantly more.

I believe the Hitachi was 800ish, so was hoping for something 1500 or less.

Hard to believe the electronics get that much crazier at 15hp, but who knows, could be the Break point

Eg. Of what l’ve found. This unit on Amazon.ca for only 935.00 and says 20hp but doesn’t look up to it and don’t recognize name.

Anyone use this brand?

Attachments

• B1144D0F-C3B6-4C76-B26A-03EB0882742B.png
    B1144D0F-C3B6-4C76-B26A-03EB0882742B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Also, amp rating seems way low for 20hp single phase and this little “use only 20hp motor” seems like they don’t even understand how a vfd’s works

Attachments

• 5D1703B1-2E91-4DB2-8802-751D2A5A983A.png
    5D1703B1-2E91-4DB2-8802-751D2A5A983A.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Yeah after a bit of searching and the red flag 90% efficiency rating, definitely Not something l’m interested in.

Still remember not that long ago when vfd was not commonly known, (other than big industry) you could snap up the correct 30hp units off of eBay for 2-400 US.

Crazy how much everything has gone up with a little awareness

I just checked and Hitachi/ Allen Bradley/ Delta all have 30hp 3 phase New units in my price range. 1100-1700 CND

From China, could these be knock offs?

Quality wise, l would think

1. Allen B.
2. Hitachi
3. Delta

Yeah the Hitachi l can kind of believe and Delta may be China made anyway, but the price on the AB surprised me.

So if l’m looking at a 3 phase unit, 30hp so can handle single phase input, what am l looking for again volts wise?

Can remember if it could be 460v, or if it had to be 230V making it harder to come by?

There are several companies manufacturing off grid 3 phase inverters for water pumps supplied by solar arrays. They work with DC inputs from 600 to 1000 volts depending on the model. One could run single phase power through a step up transformer, a rectifier, and a filter capacitor and supply one of these units. The 15KW output inverter sells for $450 plus shipping from Taiwan. Some motors will require a 3 phase inductor on the supply to remove the high voltage spikes. This is a problem for submersible pumps that do not have VFD rated insulation.

ABB is another manufacturer that makes 3 phase inverters that are supplied by a DC bus. They are more expensive.

Look at the current rating for the motor and make sure your VFD can supply that current level using single phase supply. You can probably ramp up the start to minimize starting current. A compressor is a pretty well defined constant load, whereas a lathe or mill depends on the feeds and speeds,

Back