What's new
What's new

lathe coolant - Pressure VS volume

Stirling

Hot Rolled
this is a broader question in general as well as a focused question on my example.

in a perfect world we would have both, but if you had to bias one way or another what would you choose? in my situation i have a 5hp300psi, but being a garage band power is limited and the 5hp eats into my max depth of cut due to power restrictions :/ live and learn

that being sais i can toss a 1.5hp something on there. a lower flow 150-300psi pump or a higher flow 20-40psi pump
machine is a nak as200l.which has 2 nozzles constantly spraying down the B axis covers and 1-2 nozles active on the turret at a time. so it can ask for quite a bit of volume. for fun i wired in my haas tsc pump (1.25hp. 300psi i assume? its not lable. a 2008) with all 4 ports open the lack of flow relegates it to no pressure at all, reducing the outlet size significantly boosts pressure. for 1.25 hp i could install a pretty darn high flow pump

so the question, for me and in general. high volume heavy flood, or reduced volume but really push the coolant into the cutting zone?

It really depends what you are doing. If you are doing smaller bores, say under 1-1/4, I would go for pressure over volume. There really isn't much volume to fill by the time you feed a boring bar into a hole. If you are doing larger bores, like cutting out bigger bushings ~2" and above, you don't really need the higher pressure to force the swarf out of the bore since there should be plenty of room for chips to evacuate. I would go for higher volume in cases like that.

Boy, I would think that the housekeeping (?) flow should be it's own low pressure / high volume pump that moves coolant, but doesn't take much power.

In most apps, even the 20# pump will be enough, but 40 would make you feel a lot more better.

Most any drill 1/2" or bigger will doo OK with even the 20#, but 40# would be more better for the smaller tools.
(in a lathe)

On the other hand, too much pump will just pack heat into your coolant, so more is not always better.

I guess it just matters how much V your waycover sweeper takes?

--------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Boy, I would think that the housekeeping (?) flow should be it's own low pressure / high volume pump that moves coolant, but doesn't take much power.

In most apps, even the 20# pump will be enough, but 40 would make you feel a lot more better.

Most any drill 1/2" or bigger will doo OK with even the 20#, but 40# would be more better for the smaller tools.
(in a lathe)

On the other hand, too much pump will just pack heat into your coolant, so more is not always better.

I guess it just matters how much V your waycover sweeper takes?

--------------------------

i have considered redoing some plumbing to accomidate a low pressure pump just like this. ofr now i have 3d printed new mre restrictive nozzled with a fanned spray pattern. good project for a day off.
my small lathe has a 40lb pump and its always worked well.
been running a 20lb on the nak and its lackluster. th haas tsc pump seems pretty good. again, playing around whith whats lying around. wish i had more amps availible in the shop

im not sure what you man by "how much V" ?

im sure im thinking about it to much, but thats what i tend to do. for the love of learning over profit i guess.
you read articles about creating a high pressure wedge under the chip and so on and so on. much to it to create better reliability?

V = Volume.

Peeling high volume low pressure flood from a system that you also want decent pressure from is not really efficient. But then again - there is costs to having 2 systems as well.

---------------------

Back