What's new
What's new

Lathe identification please help

Hi, I'm new to this community but this seems like the best place to look for help. I'm trying to help my cousin identify a lathe and a few other pieces of machinery. The own a farm and his dad passed away a few years ago and we are finally cleaning out the shop. I believe that these old machines still have value and would really like to identify them and find them a good home before he scraps them. I posted all the pictures in a media file on my profile but I'll post just the large pics I have here. I will be back at the farm on the 26th so I could get more picture from different angles or even measurements to help with identifying it.687652187.jpg687652173.jpg687916215 (1).jpg687652187.jpg687652173.jpg687916215 (1).jpg

Bradford as can be seen These folks go way back to the middle of the 19th century. I'd guess the one in the photo above is from the teens of the 20th century. Here is a 14" from 1910

Attachments

• Scan 01.jpg
    Scan 01.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
At the risk of "me-tooism", I'd like to point out that Cullman wheel made only the transmission to convert old machine tools from overhead line shaft drive to individual electric motors.

The War Department property tag adds historical interest !

A very like-able antique lathe.

Be sure to locate all the accessories such as the chucks, faceplates, steady rest, follower rest, and especially any loose threading gears.

At the risk of "me-tooism", I'd like to point out that Cullman wheel made only the transmission to convert old machine tools from overhead line shaft drive to individual electric motors.

The War Department property tag adds historical interest !

A very like-able antique lathe.

Be sure to locate all the accessories such as the chucks, faceplates, steady rest, follower rest, and especially any loose threading gears.
Like I said I will be back there on the 26th so I can go through everything that is there and provide more pictures. I wasn't sure if it was a Bradford lathe or just had a Bradford quick change gearbox mounted on it like the cullman motor that was placed on it. Do you think this machine is worth saving and finding someone that could appreciate it? I know for sure it has at least 2 steady rests and a ton of old tooling bits but I'm not sure about extra gears.

Like I said I will be back there on the 26th so I can go through everything that is there and provide more pictures. I wasn't sure if it was a Bradford lathe or just had a Bradford quick change gearbox mounted on it like the cullman motor that was placed on it. Do you think this machine is worth saving and finding someone that could appreciate it? I know for sure it has at least 2 steady rests and a ton of old tooling bits but I'm not sure about extra gears.
It's probably worth $500 with all of the tooling there. With a lot of cleaning it would make a good lathe to use so it shouldn't be scrapped.

When you return look for the threading clock. That would be a needed item. The one steady looks home made, not worth much but could come in handy but it may not be a steady. The center distance of the lathe is short 2 steadies are not needed, maybe size increase.

Last edited:
The only insurmountable hurtle with old lathes like this is a low spindle speed, BUT they can still do excellent work as long as you approach the job with a fundamentalist view of turning. In other words, the latest indexable tooling doesn't help so much as an understanding of how cutter geometry works and how to grind it yourself.

That said, it's worth saving. Selling it, your goal is less about making top dollar and more about putting it in the right hands. If some hot-shot kids comes along with wads of cash and dreams of turning hard truck axles, he'll be disappointed and the lathe will likely get wreaked and sent to the scrap yard. The ideal buyer for this lathe is someone who is either a proper machinist already, or willing to learn enough about it that his buddies "think" he is a machinist. Someone who's just looking for a basic tool room lathe to make bronze bushings mild steel shafts and weird screw pieces for other projects, and see's this lathe for what it is: a well used tool that needs a little love so it can continue to be used.

Depending where you are, it's dollar value could be high or low depending on what better lathe's are on the market already. From my experience though, lathes this old are less about the condition of the ways (the typical horses-teeth you inspect) and more about how complete they are and if the spindle is heavily worn. It's very well possible that the buyer ends up being a "collector" type with no real intent to use it, but at least they respect it. Your profile says you're in Ohio, correct? Lots of lathe up that way, but also lots of guys ready to use them.

IMO, the worse thing you can do though is mark up the price because this thing is "rare" and an antique. That tends to drive away the few that might actually have a job for the lathe and tends to attract (IF it attracts anyone) the artsy types that just want to put the cast iron legs under the kitchen table and the rest of the lathe out in the flower bed.

Last edited:
The Bradfords were actually a good lathe, We had a Bradford Metal Master gear driven here years ago.
It was the last one out of the factory sometime around 1954/55, I think, it's been a long time ago.
We ran it for the better part of 25 years, The down side is there is absolutely no spare parts out there.
If something goes south then your building it yourself.

And here is a few about the spindle bearings - which is why lathes so equipped are never much for high speeds on the spindle

Attachments

• Brad Cone Bearings A.jpg
    Brad Cone Bearings A.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Brad Cone Bearings B.jpg
    Brad Cone Bearings B.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 14

Back