What's new
What's new

Lathe spindle bearing nuts loosening.

Actually this is the best method and way better than double nuts for precision bearings.
Is that brass piece free to move or has it gotten mushroomed on the top side?
I bet it's badly mushroomed. I know they didn't come out when I had the nut off. Actually, if I remember right, the set screw was in the bottom of the gear box and the brass was still in place.
I'm going to make a couple new slugs and then pull the cover off again. I'm anticipating drill bits and easy outs to remove the old ones. I still don't think they should be backing off the way it is, but I'm going to start with the easy stuff.

If your nuts are coming loose, I'd suggest taking a look at the spindle bearings.

My lathe was brand spankin' new, and the spindle worked loose. So, yeah, the nuts were loose.....but there was a reason they were loose.

I pulled the spindle, and bearings....................
lathe setup24-1.JPG
lathe setup25-1.JPG

Somebody had a bad day at the factory, and screwed up the preload......or had a set/single bad bearing.

Scored a set of replacement bearings.
lathe setup68.JPG

Made a shit ton of special tools......................
lathe setup131.JPG
lathe setup134.JPG
And, had to make a new spacer, when the old one couldn't be straightened. (Proof that a milling machine could probably make a lathe.......sorta)
lathe setup188.JPG

Anyways.................wound up with a nice lathe. So............check other things that might be making your nutz come loose.

And, had to make a new spacer, when the old one couldn't be straightened. (Proof that a milling machine could probably make a lathe.......sorta)

Did you apply heat directly to the space in your attempt to straighten it? I assume because of the coloring.

I learned awhile back from a man that with thin parts to heat two pieces of thick metal, then sandwich the piece between them to apply the heat indirectly, and then commence to the straightening efforts.

Did you apply heat directly to the space in your attempt to straighten it? I assume because of the coloring.

I learned awhile back from a man that with thin parts to heat two pieces of thick metal, then sandwich the piece between them to apply the heat indirectly, and then commence to the straightening efforts.

You know,,,,,,,,, I did directly heat the part. I'm used to straightening heavier sections, and never thought to do it any other way. I might have done better doing as you say.

I think what you're saying about clamping is probably spot on. I've always fixtured things when I heat shrink them. The fixture "fixes" the amount of bend that you'll get. It limits the bend. IIRC, the damn spacer kept going all over the place. Too far one way, then too far the other way.

tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif

Back