What's new
What's new

Lathe Tool Holders

nickoalous09

Plastic
Ive done quite a bit of searching, and have not found any information on why the price ranges vary so much between different brands for the same types of stick tool holders for turning.

For example, whilst shopping for a new DCLNR holder, specifically a DCLNR16-4D, the prices seem to range from $70-$130 or so and the only difference seems to be the brand?

I have some Widia and Keyocera holders that were on the lower price range all the way up to Sandvik holders that were on the upper end price-wise. Aside from some obvious extra care taken in the machining of the holders, I can not tell a difference in performance. Is this the only difference?

The price difference usually shows after you've got some parts done on them. Usually (but not always) the more expensive holders will hold up better. Getting chip blasted, cutting forces, getting banged around, all take their toll. I've got some Kennametal and Sandvik holders from the early 1980s that are still deilvering good results, every day.

If I’m not mistaken some of the holders have a coolant nozzle directed at the cutting edge while the really cheap ones might not have it. I second the chip wash theory too. I’m relatively young but I’ve watched cheap boring bars erode away within months of (albeit heavy) use. Maybe not as prevalent on OD tools though.

ya all are totally missing the forest here. Widia and Keyocera are really good brands, and in this case its not the economics of manufacturing the tool holder that is determining the price, its really just how much the brand wants to subsidize the price of the holder to get you to be more likely to buy their inserts. the 60 dollar difference you cite is inconsequential compared to the insert sales.

there are all kinds of "incentive structures" at work here also, some go with buy a package deal, get a discount holder, (buy the holder only, maybe you will buy the inserts tomorrow, or maybe never),some use an active salesman or rep network in some areas, they may want to reinforce that by upping prices for non "serviced" clients, etc, etc

ya all are totally missing the forest here. Widia and Keyocera are really good brands, and in this case its not the economics of manufacturing the tool holder that is determining the price, its really just how much the brand wants to subsidize the price of the holder to get you to be more likely to buy their inserts. the 60 dollar difference you cite is inconsequential compared to the insert sales.

there are all kinds of "incentive structures" at work here also, some go with buy a package deal, get a discount holder, (buy the holder only, maybe you will buy the inserts tomorrow, or maybe never),some use an active salesman or rep network in some areas, they may want to reinforce that by upping prices for non "serviced" clients, etc, etc

Insert tooling seems to be kind of like printers are/were. I knew a guy that owned an office supply store years ago and he told me that the reason you could buy some printers so cheap was that they much more than made up for it selling you overpriced ink cartridges. Sounds like the same game.

Back