What's new
What's new

Lathe turret tool layout

mmurray70

Stainless
Wondering if you guys have any advice for setting up a lathe turret with common tools for best combination of clearance. Machine has 10" chuck with 12 position toolchanger. Pretty sure a ID tool will hit chuck when using an adjacent OD tool close to center.

Is it best to keep all my OD tools in a row? Or stagger them? or some combination of both? Would ideally like to keep a roughing tool, finishing tool, threading tool, 3mm grooving tool and part off tool in machine at all times.

I have all my OD stick tools including Cutoff and Stop Block in 11-3. The 1-3 stick tools are all bolted/wedged into the turret without any ancillary holding device. Meaning short and rigid. Then Boring Bar and/or Drill holders, then Live Tools. Paying extra attention when using Z axis live tools as they take up a lot of space. My stick tools stay, but I'm usually moving some of the others. I've only been programming and running this lathe off and on maybe 4 years, so still pretty much a newb on it. For all I know my system is screwy, but sort of works for me.

Stick tools in low tool numbers, boring bars and drills on the other/higher number side of the turret. Plenty of chuck clearance on the OD tool side of the turret, move boring bars as required for larger diameters.

Watch the length of boring bars on the far side of the turret when turning close to the chuck, they can hit the wall.

Wondering if you guys have any advice for setting up a lathe turret with common tools for best combination of clearance. Machine has 10" chuck with 12 position toolchanger. Pretty sure a ID tool will hit chuck when using an adjacent OD tool close to center.

I wish you Good Luck in your endeavor!

In my view most of the MTB-s today design lathes as if this is their first rodeo!
I am OK with them trying to cater to those people who want to turn 16" diameters on an 8" machine, but WTF!! What about those of us who just want a proper clearance around the chuck just so we don't have to constantly remove unused tools or else risk busting them off!

I don't know what machine you're tooling up, but my recent endeavor in finding an 8" machine with 12 station turret having ample elbow room resulted in only one lathe, the Takisawa TCN 2100 L6.
Still nowhere near the clearance I get on my Mori Duraturn, but it does appear to be adequate.

With that said, on my machines I use stations 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for OD work, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 are ID.
Stations 11 and 12 are the "flexible" stations, normally set as 11 = ID 12 = OD, but these are the ones I change if I need one or two more tools for one thing or another.
These are also the ones taking "odd" tools such as face groovers, knurling tools or otherwise nonstandard stuff.

The benefit in for this arrangement in my case is that I also have a machine with a 10 station turret, where 1 - 5 are OD and 6 - 10 are ID, so if i have to send a program to one or the other, converting is much simpler.

Totally agree with SeymourDumore. Clearing tools with an 8 inch chuck/12 station turret can be a big problem. Pulled an OD groove tool this morning so I could use the ID holder next to it. It was either that or start moving tool blocks around.

Another pet peeve of mine. Getting to the set screws on a half station ID holder is impossible if another ID holder is next to it. Even the set screw can hit the next holder if too long so that the tool block won't mount on the turret correctly. Grrrrr.

The DMG NLX 2500 I use has a turret large enough that boring bars in neighbouring holders will not foul on a 10" chuck if the jaws do not protrude the OD of the chuck. Best of all there is a cut out in the firewall to help clear long bars when turning up to chuck. So damn good.

Yeah, she is a beauty!

Here is the face view:
faceview2.jpg

Note the slightly offsetted and angled facets on the outside of the turret.
It allows for less clearance on the lower slide cover, it moves the cutting forces a bit away from the center, but most importantly there is total access to the screws for the ID holders!

Just wondering why ALL of the MTB-s ignore the benefits of the larger turret?
Pretty much ALL of them offer optional turrets in some way or form, all of which required to be "factory install only" options.
So why then can't they just put a riser between the slide and the turret housing, put a massive turret on it ( perhaps an existing one from a larger machine even ), and offer it as an additional option?
The only downside to this is that this machine - with standard tooling - can't turn much beyond 11" diameter.
Do I care? No!

Reactions: Ox
Thanks guys. Ill put all my stick tools in a row and stagger ID tools for spaces that are left over.

Like mentioned above, I put my stick tools together:
t12 - reset
t1 - fin turn, vnmg
t2 - rough turn, wnmg
t3 - LH fin turn, vnmg
t4 - groove/ part off
t5 - OD thread or open
t6 - start ID tools

Doug

The nice thing about Hardinge lathes and 12 station turrets with 16C and 20C collets is the room. We run a 2-jaw chuck on the 51 Conquest with no interference problems. When we got our first Hardinge (16C collet), I set it up with external tools on even stations, internal tools on odd stations.

A few years later we hired a young guy with a better idea. Called me over to the lathe he was setting up because the turret had stopped mid-index. He had put the OD tools in a row (like 1,2,3,4,5,6) and then the ID holders in the remaining stations. Too much weight on one side of the turret.

I prefer to balance the turret if possible. It is especially critical on a lathe that isn't indexing good to start with....wants to over-shoot and rock a bit before the locating pin goes into the turret.

3 Mazak 250 series mill turn lathes with VDI tool holders. No particular order for anything, front or back working. And as long as the jaws stay within the 10" chuck body all is well.

Back