What's new
What's new

Leblond duel drive mk1 replacement gears

Ree07

Plastic
Hello guys Looking for replacement gears for Leblond dual drive any ideas or suggestions

Attachments

• 214F7C47-B387-4AF2-B664-3775B8A7DFF8.jpeg
    214F7C47-B387-4AF2-B664-3775B8A7DFF8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 9ECCBB1B-8DBB-4836-A364-B87143B58422.jpeg
    9ECCBB1B-8DBB-4836-A364-B87143B58422.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
If you can't find a scrap lathe to get them out of you will have to get some from Boston Gear or the like. you will never find direct replacements, you need to find the correct tooth count and cut the center out of the original gears and bore the new ones to fit the hubs you cut out of the original gears.

Things to know about measuring gears
These are easy in that they are "straight cut" rather than helical

They will have a DP - or diametral pitch - this determines TOOTH SIZE

A way to find DP:

Measure OD with mic
Count teeth - add 2 to the count
Divide OD into tooth count plus 2

Example"

2.125 OD divided into 34 = 16 DP

Last edited:
There seem to be at least 10 busted /badly worn gears there .....IMHO ,a donor machine is the only solution.........you also need to be aware that lathe makers often didnt use standard dimension gears,to get desired ratios ,the gears have different tooth numbers to what a standard gear would have.........anyhoo,with that much gear chips going thru the spindle bearings,Id check them too .

Things to know about measuring gears
These are easy in that they are "straight cut" rather than helical

They will have a DP - or diametral pitch - this determines TOOTH SIZE

A way to find DP:

Measure OD with mic
Count teeth - add 2 to the count
Divide OD into tooth count plus 2

Example"

2.125 OD divided into 34 = 16 DP
I'm glad to know this. All of the slow speeds on my Tray-top are worn. They are straight cut gears so I was hoping to find replacement gears one day. Maybe Boston Gear?

When I had employees........ a lathe "operator" engaged the half nuts instead of the feed at 900 RPM, why was the lead screw engaged? Who knows, but I could hear the crash from outside. The crash damage was incredible. I ended up buying the contents of a headstock that had been in a fire

I did not even suggest that. I needed some gears a few years ago and they averaged 1500.00 each!
Many years ago, a friend who worked at LeBlond Ltd. suggested that shaved or hobbed gears would be less costly than their typical hardened & ground gears. You might suggest that approach to LeBlond Ltd. A pair of hobbed gears might be a bit noisier than a ground set, but would function well.

My first thought is to map out what speeds you have left without using the damaged gears. Then consider if a VFD could be used to yield a usable range of speeds with the good gears.

What size of lathe and serial number do you have? I have all new headstock bearings necessary for a C (15").

Back