What's new
What's new

Lifting a South Bend 9A onto a bench

intrepid

Cast Iron
I recently bought a SB 9A with a 4.5' bed and my son helped me move it into my garage. I removed the chuck and tail stock to lighten it and the two of us were able to load it into his truck with other accessories, tooling and the heavy steel home built lathe bench. The lathe is setting on my garage floor and I'm ready to place it on the bench. However, my son lives far and I have no one nearby to help. I have a portable engine hoist that will easily lift it but I'm not sure where to place the lifting slings. I have read of horror stories of the lathe falling on its face and I don't want this happening. Short of using the hoist I would have to wait a month or two until my son visits here again. Any recommendations?

The balance point is probably near the chuck.
Take a strap and wrap it around the cone pulley, and the mid point of the bed.
You can then hang the lathe by that strap, find the ballance point, and it will stay level so you wont have to lift it much higher than the minimum needed.

Don't use a 1 inch wide ratchet strap..

Going through the bed center web with a chain and around a 2x4 or 4x4 under the machine bed crossway near the headstock is good, and another 2x4 or 4x4 and chain down past the saddle to find a good balance point when you lift it only a few inches off the floor.

Lift only so have the cabinet near to slide it under the machine.

Straight up and straight down so avoid needing to push the machine to another place.

Using straps they need to not go over any sharp edges, cardboard or better to cover sharp edges.
Don't let chains or straps push against any feed screws.

Using ropes (not advised) they need be 400lb test strength or so..and not rotten.

Moving something that does not have a center web, but just a straight bottom a spreader on your lift hanger method is good.

Thanks, I have a 6400 lb lifting strip which will do the job. I was think the cone pulley was high point but was just worried about all the weight on the bearings and such. But this sounds good and I will go for it. Thanks agian

Or...dismantle it a bit further. Few screws will remove the headstock as well as the gearbox and lead screw. Will give you a chance to clean it up a bit and inspect things.

Or...dismantle it a bit further. Few screws will remove the headstock as well as the gearbox and lead screw. Will give you a chance to clean it up a bit and inspect things.

My plan was to clean it up first and I may still do that. I already cleaned and painted the bench. However, my garage is packed and a mess and I have two mills coming next week so I cannot spend too much time in the garage. Also renovating the house at the same time. Even if I don't clean it now I will be able to so later.

Just a few minutes of work and its done. My biggest fear was if the spindle can handle the weight of the lathe. It did with no problems. No I can start cleaning up the garage for the next machine.IMG_0655.jpgIMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:

Back