What's new
What's new

Lights out turning

I never have Bob.
But a mate (AE) uses it alot in the medical game.
He also showed me a standalone unit which bolts to the machine for drilling - has its own HFT feed axis - very impressive for small drills. He feeds normal (Z) and the attachment HFT drills.

Star GB | High Frequency Turning (HFT) Software

That would most likely be a TriboMAM unit from M4 Sciences. Good people, good tools.

Also, Bob, tool life does not suffer when using HFT/LFV/Servo Oscillation for turning. At least, not in my world where we set tool life conservatively for stable production. Possibly in a "run the insert till it breaks and then make 2 more parts or the job isn't profitable" kind of shop it could cause problems.

What happened to the OP, is he learning about machining or out golfing :D.
Im here ! lol

We have had some great success in lights out turning. We logged over 1,000 hrs of unattended run last year and are one pace for ~2,000 hrs this year.

Turning on these machines has been limited to aluminum. One is using the built in parts catcher (Doosan Lynx 2100 LSYB), the other is using a UR10e universal robot (MAZAK QTN-250MSYII) to load and unload parts, as they are too large to be bar fed and fit in the parts catcher.

We optimize our process for reliability, not speed. We would much rather have a *slightly* increased cycle time than getting every second out of the cutting time.

Im here ! lol

We have had some great success in lights out turning. We logged over 1,000 hrs of unattended run last year and are one pace for ~2,000 hrs this year.
Tell me this not true . 8760 hours on normall run year. You are at 1000. That would be very, very bad.
Even on a one shift shop this looks sort of bad.
Do not want to be a pissy net guy an as long as such makes money that is all good.
The idea behind "lights out" is more money in the checkbook. Does it pay more to the bottom line?

Last edited:
capitalist slave-driver !
That is a new one. Hope I am not seen this way.
Today a new nationality holiday. Come in or not as chosen.
Time and half if in. Not so good as double time as other Holidays but not bad.

"capitalist slave-driver" ... Wow... that hurts a lot and very deep. ...I try.
Yes, at times I am brutal and maybe seen as a slave-driver.
You have no idea how this thought or comment is a so very bad a thing to me.....

Last edited:
Tell me this not true . 8760 hours on normall run year. You are at 1000. That would be very, very bad.
Even on a one shift shop this looks sort of bad.
Do not want to be a pissy net guy an as long as such makes money that is all good.
The idea behind "lights out" is more money in the checkbook. Does it pay more to the bottom line?
He did say 1000hrs unattended. 1 shift (50 weeks x 40hrs) is 2000hrs of attended time, so perhaps a 50% increase over that (or a 100% increase if their setup time is ~20hrs/week), which is not necessarily bad. He also said they're on track for 2000hrs unattended this year, which is like a whole second shift for free.

If you're getting 8000+ hrs unattended per year, nobody is turning up to work for more than half the year :)

Back