What's new
What's new

Lineshaft Machine Shop Photos

Lombard Traction Engine Company, Waterville, Maine. Alvin Lombard is the gentleman with the vest and tie.

FACTORY01.jpg

Another view of the factory. Assembling an early "Lag Bed" tractor chassis (circa 1915-16)
Factory03.jpg

A circa 1917 view showing 10 ton Lombard tractors in assembly. The stack of castings on the left are yoke and bearing assemblies for the front sprockets and provide for track tension adjustment.
scan0004.jpg

Last edited:
Lighting was a real challenge it seems. Night shift?
Funny you mention that since as I was looking at the first Lombard pic I was noticing how the machines on the right were turned so the daylight would be at the lathe operator's back and on the front of the work even though it brings the belt out toward the operator.

Not a picture , but an image from South Bend sales brochure . This is of a 9" "Workshop" model 405 . These ones are easily spotted by the "hollow" tail stock . A few have come up for sale near me , I would love to recreate this picture in my little work space . Maybe someday .
Mark .
View attachment 389459
They always show the lathe plugged into an overhead light in the ads. How where you supposed to see to work without the light working?

Back