What's new
What's new

Lineshaft Machine Shop Photos

Unknown shop. Nice New Haven planer. Jake
I like that claw-foot heat treat oven on the left. I wonder if all the oil drums up on the wall are there for storage or what? It seems like in lots of old photos the oil drums appear... saggy? I wonder if their wall thickness has thickened over the years? Maybe it's just optical.

That wet-stone wheel on the stand behind the shaper stands out to me as well. I like the wood-work and joinery of old shop benches and the like. It tends to be very simple in execution, yet thought out for the durability. I think the availability and ease of welding and ready made kits has made a lot of that disappear. Guys still build wood bench's, for sure, but slapping 2x4's, plywood, and decking screws together doesn't really produce the same results IMO. I've saved some lighter duty legs and tops from stands like that over the years to repurpose, but mainly to see how they did it. Lots of simple mortises, square head bolts, and no nails other than maybe to stick small stuff on at the end.

I wonder if good seeing people ever got plaino lens’s. You know for safety?
I can imagine the grimes on the Forman's face when every body stoped working , for a picture.

This isn't exactly a machine shop, but its a cool example of line shaft power.
1679596099091.png
1679595680939.png
This was part of the 1876 Centennial exhibition in Philly. It was just one small exhibit in a massive machinery hall built for the exhibition. The whole exhibition was powered by this monstrous 1400hp steam engine with more than a mile of line shaft.

1679595814002.png

Here's a picture of the Machinery Hall, like most World's Fair type exhibitions it didn't last long and was torn down a few years later:
1679596247784.png

Thanks. I did the same. I downloaded the picture and zoomed in and of course it wasn't like they had high resolution cameras in those days.x
So I Googled to find out how sharp 8x10 negatives are and I found this article. It looks like 8x10 film is higher in resolution than the biggest digital camera made with 150 megapixels, so digital still has not caught up to large format film yet.

I don't know where you folks keep getting these pictures ,but please keep them coming !!
A mention was made in a earlier post about the old joinery in the wooden benches a such . Years ago I was a facilities consultant for a company & one of the older guys loved to chat me up cause he found out I was on my way to the mountains to build my house after this job was over . We got to talking about joinery & pride in workmanship & he was tellin me that his grandpa was a carpenter in the late 1800's & the first thing they made. anew guy do was build a sawhorse . The guy with the best sawhorse went to work with the best carpenter and so on ... You know your doing something right when the parents & scouts are askin questions when yer helpin a bunch of cub scouts makin their first pinewood derby cars .
When your through learning your through .
thanks for all the pics !!!
animal

Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association machine shop museum. This is where I spend most of my Saturdays. In this picture you can see the black belt leading down to our early 1900s Fellows gear shaper. We are trying to get this machine running from the line shaft for our show coming up July 6th through 9th. The tan belt to the left runs the Lucas horizontal boring mill.

Attachments

• 0603231624.jpg
    0603231624.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

Back