What's new
What's new

Lineshaft Machine Shop Photos

Drill Press Department
Stereoviews from an unidentified location, ca 1875.

img002.jpg
img025.jpg

Looks like the boss came in on Sunday morning for pictures.
(Can’t have those men goofing off on company time for pictures.
Besides, now you can’t miss me in these pictures.)

Attachments

• img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 86
Drill Press Department
Stereoviews from an unidentified location, ca 1875.

View attachment 347995
View attachment 347990

Looks like the boss came in on Sunday morning for pictures.
(Can’t have those men goofing off on company time for pictures.
Besides, now you can’t miss me in these pictures.)

Interesting that for this time period that the drills have guards around the gearing.

Rob

From the University of Kentucky, another shop building gas engines.

Looks like an early tool & cutter grinder in the right center of photo. Earlier than my Cincinnati, though the operators handbook had some set-up images showing the same sliding round ram with gear rack movements in all axis. I think I remember seeing the same layout in patent images. My grinder is around 1900 and at that point only the vertical movement was on a round slide with the table and cross slides having improved to dovetail and box ways.

Looks like an early tool & cutter grinder in the right center of photo. Earlier than my Cincinnati, though the operators handbook had some set-up images showing the same sliding round ram with gear rack movements in all axis. I think I remember seeing the same layout in patent images. My grinder is around 1900 and at that point only the vertical movement was on a round slide with the table and cross slides having improved to dovetail and box ways.

Here is a larger view. Note the fairly large dividing head on the mill.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-28 200125.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-28 200125.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 77
Looks like an early tool & cutter grinder in the right center of photo. Earlier than my Cincinnati

Yes it is. It is a match to the 1896 Cincinnati catalog illustration.
Here is the 1889 illustration when it came out and the 1896 catalog illustration.

Rob

Attachments

• Cincinnati grinder 1889 1a (2).jpg
    Cincinnati grinder 1889 1a (2).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Cincinnati grinder 1896 1 (2).jpg
    Cincinnati grinder 1896 1 (2).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 40
I forgot to mention the anvil and hammer in the left foreground.
Is that for forging their cutting tools?
I doubt it. Now, I'm sure they could've done SOME tool making on that anvil, but I'm guessing they were making parts on it, not tools. I'm just guessing based off the fact that they have a sledge hammer with the anvil.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Not a lineshaft shop, but still a flat belt milling machine. A HUGE one at that.
45fbaf07536e620a4b7fa3376dc4beb0.jpg

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Bethlehem Steel Company, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 91 inch diameter corrugated ingot in cutting-off lathe. It looks like the parting tool could be 12" tall.

Attachments

• Bethlehem Steel Company, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 91 inch diameter corrugated ingot in cutting-o.jpg
    Bethlehem Steel Company, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 91 inch diameter corrugated ingot in cutting-o.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot 2022-05-07 231120.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-07 231120.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 92

Back