What's new
What's new

Little over priced or have I disconnected on 10EE value?

It's HGR. Their initial markup is always at least 3x what they paid for it and double what they think they can sell it for.

"Rode hard and put up wet" as my mother would say. But it looks complete and undamaged from the pics. Might make a good project if the price was right.

Except for the missing lower cover.

Wait long enough and it will show up in their last chance section. Sometimes you can get pretty good deals there. You used to be able to dicker, but I didn't know they were sold and it might be different now.

I've picked up a few things from HGR and everything has required repair of some sort, but that was expected. Everything I bought, I inspected on premise and transported myself so I could avoid the random forklift crashes and other "oops".

"Except for the missing lower cover." Dang, you're right. I guess I thought they had just removed it for inspection. That's a big issue.

The price is crazy but a big part of the ugly is dust on top of oil. The lead screw is covered.
s-l1600 (8).jpg
Someone leaned on the headstock and wiped a spot clean.
It would clean up fair.

I guess they can't hire machine painters/forklift drivers willing to get dirty.
I prefer no precleaning or painting.

I'm sure there are issues.
The compound corners are not chipped up. That says to me that the collet chuck was probably there for a lot of the lathes use.

Last edited:
I guess they can't hire machine painters/forklift drivers willing to get dirty.
I prefer no precleaning or painting.

In that way, HGR is better than buying from a lot of dealers, even though the stuff is untested and untestable. They present stuff more honestly, vs a steam clean/paint "rebuild".

Their eBay listings always have an additional markup, too. This lathe is about $6k on their website.

I really do not understand the prices being asked for 10EE lathes of any vintage. Mechanically they are superb for sure, but because DC powered lathes are effectively unmaintainable because of parts unavailability and outdated technology issues, should never even be considered for ownership. Lathes need to be available when needed. It is not just the 10EE that falls into this category, it is the 14" L&S and all lathes powered by electronics. By the way, that also goes for VFD solutions as well. VFD drives are electrically inefficient and no substitute for gears. I suspect a lot of disagreement here, but my assessment is not wrong.

Steve, there are plenty of solutions to the problems you mention. And they are easy solutions. e.g. get a 1940 10EE and use a single phase motor to power the fluid drive. Or buy a modern DC power source, like a GE DC300, and power the original DC motor.

Steve, there are plenty of solutions to the problems you mention. And they are easy solutions. e.g. get a 1940 10EE and use a single phase motor to power the fluid drive. Or buy a modern DC power source, like a GE DC300, and power the original DC motor.
Yes, you can. There are several solutions out there, but they are all expensive and none are better than a conventional gear driven spindle with an adequate number of available spindle speeds.

Back