What's new
What's new

Little over priced or have I disconnected on 10EE value?

Yes, you can. There are several solutions out there, but they are all expensive and none are better than a conventional gear driven spindle with an adequate number of available spindle speeds.

Except for all the gear noise transmitted to the work by a conventional gear head lathe.

I guess it all boils down to this fact we all agree on, whether we want to or not: The simply unmatched 10EE dwarfs them all! :D

I guess it all boils down to this fact we all agree on, whether we want to or not: The simply unmatched 10EE dwarfs them all! :D
You see all of the electronic 10ee problems come to this forum because the knowledge base is here to help solve issues.
I'm not sure it represents the whole picture of dependability. How many of these lathes still do trouble free work on a regular basis.
Im sure most have retired from production work. That has moved to CNC
Its a great precision One Off lathe.
Many of the 10ee's brought to this forum had issues and were parked, replaced and sat in storage for years.
That makes them look like cronic problem cases.
There are step by step troubleshooting giudes in the manual.
They seem to be worth the effort to many.
I do understand what steve1 is saying

but

What new lathe compares and what does it cost ? $$.

Im sure there are some damm good lathes being built. Will those modern electronics be problematic and considered obsolete before the lathe is worn out?
Electronics change yearly these days. New tractors sold today will have obsolete electronics before the tractor is worn out. Throw it away? This is already a problem.

I have been running my round dial for 25 years. Not a lot of hours like any manual machine in my shop.
IT has one electrical quirk where somedays field weakening won't go, but there are no parts that are impossible to find
Some WIAD machines are certainly a PITA, but really, I think I would rather have one of those than a 30 year old electronic anything that I rely on

Back