What's new
What's new

Litton "Q" Lathe for sale $1000/BO

rimcanyon

Diamond
LITTON "Q" Lathe.

This is a small VS lathe with a D1-3 spindle and a joystick to control the hydraulic tracer. It was originally designed for making vacuum tube bases, and it has a lot of flexibility. The hydraulic tracer works, but it can be removed and an X.Y carriage bolted in place for normal manual operation, or the hydraulic components can be replaced with ballscrews and converted to CNC. It h as a Reeves drive and is equipped with a 3phase 220V motor. It has a small footprint (30" x 30" at a guess), and stands vertically on the floor with the bed projecting out to the right.

The cross slide has a top dovetail that is identical to the one on some 10EE cross slides, so it uses the same rear toolposts as a 10EE.

The way the lathe is designed, the lathe has a sub-bed with t-slots designed to take a variety of tooling. So if the hydraulic tracer carriage is removed, the sub-bed is exposed and you essentially have a VS polishing lathe with D 1-3 spindle and a platform to mount any tooling you want. The headstock also has a opening parallel with the spindle to hold a ~3" bar, so a threading attachment from a chucker could probably be adapted to it.

Price includes a D1-3 5 C spindle nose and a lever-operated collet closer, all made by Monarch for this lathe. The 5C spindle nose also fits a 10EE.

If you want to inspect the running lathe it is in my shop in Salinas, CA

There are some photos on the net, google litton Q lathe.

Another q lathe keeps popping up on a NorCal Craigslist as milling machine that would be good for spares There were a bunch of these at Grass Valley Group (Litton). Very nice little tracers.

Cyclotronguy

Learn something every day... I knew the Grass Valley Group as a maker of video switchers and video effects hardware. I had no idea they were connected to Litton Industries.

Other little-known facts: the Grass Valley 300 video switcher would also control alien spaceships, based on analysis of many sci-fi B movies. Quite the versatile machine!

80s and 90s pro video hardware kept a lot of metal fabrication shops in business.

Chip

Here are some photos. Perspective is a bit odd since I couldn't get full side-on photos, and the machine is buried in my woodshop normally under a tarp. The hydraulic tank is the large projection below the bed. The height of the top of the lathe is about 5' sitting on the dolly. The large stick on the left is the joystick and controls the hydraulics left and right and in and out. There is also a photo of the internals that shows the linkage for the joystick, pretty slick design.

The first tag shows that this is serial number 9, model Q, and was inventory No. 11. The next shows the side view. The handle next to the oil can is for the Reeves drive. The handle is at the top, above the joystick operates the spindle clutch (the same motor drives the hydraulics and the spindle). At bottom left is the on/off control, and evidently some other electric controls were there at one time. Probably this was a prototype, but I get the feeling that they all were. i.e. no two were alike.

IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0928.jpgIMG_0922.jpg

And a photo that shows the sub-bed, the Bijur lubricator for the cross slide (the button near center), an adjustable bed stop, also at bottom you can see the hook to lift the lathe, there is another attached on the opposite side, just like on a 10EE. The cross slide has a dovetail on top that runs the full length so you can put two toolposts on it. They are the same as the second op toolposts for a 10EE. I have one I will include. More photos to follow.

IMG_0924.jpg

Last edited:
More photos:

IMG_0943.jpg

The back side. The round hole could be used for a threading attachment, I am not sure what it was originally intended for. The light comes with it.
IMG_0934.jpg

The bijur lubricator, also at right front is a corner of the tracer pattern. Just pull the joystick towards you and to the left, and the carriage will follow the pattern. It is really easy to setup tapers.

IMG_0944.jpg

This is the internal view that shows the joystick linkage:
IMG_0946.jpg

The "knee" (I know it isn't a knee, it doesn't move, but...) has some heavy bracing. The whole hydraulic tank is easy to remove if you wanted to convert this lathe from a tracer to a CNC or manual lathe.
IMG_0951.jpg

Thank you for the photos, rimcanyon! That's an interesting looking beast.
You're welcome. Its sure clear that Litton was not afraid to think outside the box. I don't think there is a similar designed lathe anywhere. The Litton engineers also designed a milling machine with many of the same parts, which had an adjustable knee. I haven't seen it, but I've heard about it. My source for information on this has been Tom Walsh, who sells machinery in Nevada City and works at Gerlinger Steel. Tom occasionally goes into the old Litton plant and can get parts for the Q lathe, they have a bunch in storage. I needed a collet closer for it when I first got it, and Tom got two of them at no charge. My first 10EE, a 1942 round dial, came from Tom and came out of the same Litton plant.

It would be interesting to know the details of Monarch's involvement in the Q lathe design, but I've never found anyone who knew a lot about it. Its pretty clear that the headstock, spindle, collet closer & oil sight glass bear a strong resemblance to a 10EE. I will post the question on the Monarch forum, since it has been a while since I last asked about the Q lathe, and there are new faces.

The 10EE collet nose piece is worth that alone... I'm really surprised I have not sold this machine. Central California machinists are a lost breed I think.

If shipping wasn’t so expensive and unreliable these days, I would be interested!

I have seen other Litton model machines, they look well built and stout!

Just wish you we’re closer……

Kevin

If shipping wasn’t so expensive and unreliable these days, I would be interested!

I have seen other Litton model machines, they look well built and stout!

Just wish you we’re closer……

Kevin
Kevin, I have often felt the same in reverse. I can't tell you the number of machines I have seen for sale in the rust belt that I would have liked to buy except for the shipping.

This particular lathe model was more common in California than anywhere else for a couple reasons: Litton Engineering was in the bay area, and this machine evidently was in use at their headquarters. Then they moved the glass lathe business to Grass Valley, CA, along with a number of 'Q' lathes that were used in their plant. I think this machine was moved to Grass Valley, but I cannot prove it.

Final price cut, after this its going to the metal recyclers: $400. Note that includes the Monarch 5C nose piece which is worth $300 (more if you believe the ebay high rollers). If you don't want the nosepiece, the lathe is $100 without. Here are another couple photos. Note that the single axis slide sitting on top of the cross slide is not included at $350, but it is available. Also, note the rear tool post. That is also worth $100 by itself, it fits a 10EE with the cross slide that has the rear dovetail.

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

Hello. I am very intrested and located close to you. Please dont recycle it!!! When can I see??
Thanks!!
831 706 8046

Back