What's new
What's new

Loading programs from USB drive on Fanuc

buildyourow

Plastic
Almost new Fanuc i-series control on a Doosan.

I cant seem to get programs to load from a USB thumb drive. Parameter 0020 is set to 17. Drive is 2gb formatted FAT. I successfully got a program from the control to the drive but when I try to go the other way I get "program not found". The control sees the drive and the files.
Does the program need to be a .txt file? Been doing this with rs232 for so long I defaulted to .nc

Copy .nc files from USB and paste to CNC memory works fine on my new DEM 4000 with Fanuc Oi-Mf plus control. What does not work is doing the same from a compact flash (CF) card. The Ellison Applications Engineer visiting today could not figure it out either. We tried both CF channels in the control.

Few things to try. Make sure the filename has no weird characters. Not sure what the actual limitations are, I only use numbers. I also don't have any .NC or anything like that. Just the program number without anything else (on windows computer you have to show the extension under explorer options to be able to rename the file like this)

If the program starts with O0000 I cannot load it, needs to be something else than four zeros (not sure why)

If the program starts with O0000 I cannot load it, needs to be something else
I experimented on this some 15 years back, so I may not remember exactly, but this is what I found:
Program number 0 is not a legal program number. You cannot create/save/execute this program number.
However, it can be used as a temporary program number. For example, if you are copying a program or a part of a program, to create a new program, and do not enter the number of the new program, then it would be saved in program number 0. You can insert this program into some other program, but other than that, it has no use. It would be wiped out after a power cycle.

The manual explicitly states that
1679382876457.png

Yeah, I can't have any file extensions loading from USB. O0001 F-INPUT then execute. Should load as current program.

Brent

Reactions: twr
As usual, the solution was simple.
The new control wants a % at the start of the program. My 18i doesn't seem to care.

I cant seem to get programs to load from a USB thumb drive. Parameter 0020 is set to 17. Drive is 2gb formatted FAT. I successfully got a program from the control to the drive but when I try to go the other way I get "program not found". The control sees the drive and the files.
Does the program need to be a .txt file? Been doing this with rs232 for so long I defaulted to .nc
When going FROM the USB TO the CNC, you must use the "Change Device" key to get the machine to look at the USB rather than internal memory.
So:

Go to "edit" mode

Press "Folder"

Look near the bottom and you'll see "Device Change"

Press it

Then select "USB" from the choices.

You will now notice that the directory has changed from the CNC internal memory to the USB drive.

Highlight the file you want to read into the memory.

Press "FGet"

Press "FSet"

Press "EXEC"

The file will now be read into the CNC memory.

MAKE SURE you press "DEVICE CHANGE" again and select "CNC" from the choices to go back to the machine's internal memory.

Many machines cannot read a USB over 1.4 MB, try reformatting your USB to that, you can find the software online that allows you to convert any size USB to 1.4.

I saw the reply about stripping the file extension; that is how we do it.
In the moment my usb drive is giving me fits; doesn't want to read the usb (same exact usb stick)
Thought the contacts were dirty or corroded; tried cleaning them to no avail.
Param #0020 is set to 17.
I tried referencing this in the Fanuc manual B-64310EN/02 but it only says 0-9 are possible. Machine says up to 35 so ??????
In the moment I'm trying to just use RS-232 comms but I need to set the params to do so. The aformentioned param manual does not give a channel # vs. physical device chart so this is what I need.
Do the fanuc usb's go out often? it's a 2013 model Lathe with the 0i-TD control.

I saw the reply about stripping the file extension; that is how we do it.
In the moment my usb drive is giving me fits; doesn't want to read the usb (same exact usb stick)
Thought the contacts were dirty or corroded; tried cleaning them to no avail.
Param #0020 is set to 17.
I tried referencing this in the Fanuc manual B-64310EN/02 but it only says 0-9 are possible. Machine says up to 35 so ??????
In the moment I'm trying to just use RS-232 comms but I need to set the params to do so. The aformentioned param manual does not give a channel # vs. physical device chart so this is what I need.
Do the fanuc usb's go out often? it's a 2013 model Lathe with the 0i-TD control.
Set channel to 1 for RS232

Set channel to 1 for RS232
Thank you for that information. It seems that there are "two" channel 1's though per attached out of aformentioned parameter manual. So, I am looking for a complete chart of this channel mess.
I have formatted a usb stick to 2mb, FAT file system, no hidden files, still won't read it, says "drive not mounting".
Is this usb drive in the control replaceable by itself? A way to test it?

Attachments

• channels.jpg
    channels.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for that information. It seems that there are "two" channel 1's though per attached out of aformentioned parameter manual. So, I am looking for a complete chart of this channel mess.
I have formatted a usb stick to 2mb, FAT file system, no hidden files, still won't read it, says "drive not mounting".
Is this usb drive in the control replaceable by itself? A way to test it?
No you have Channel-0, Channel 1, and channel-2. Channel-0 and Channel-1 are RS232. You can set different data via the associated parameters for both channels.

For Instance If you have 101 and 111 set the same, 102 and 112 set the same, 103 and 113 set the same. It will make no difference whether you use Channel 0 or Channel 1. They will function the same via the RS232 port.

No you have Channel-0, Channel 1, and channel-2. Channel-0 and Channel-1 are RS232. You can set different data via the associated parameters for both channels.

For Instance If you have 101 and 111 set the same, 102 and 112 set the same, 103 and 113 set the same. It will make no difference whether you use Channel 0 or Channel 1. They will function the same via the RS232 port.
Ok so the way I understand it is that you can set up channel 0 and 1 differently, to communicate with different devices, both using the same RS232 port. I will give that a go shortly.
I have come to the conclusion that my usb port is bad so I am looking into getting that replaced. It DOES read a 58gb FAT 32 stick though if you wiggle it just right.... so the whole thing about the size and format of the usb stick being critical is not right at least in my case.

I don't have a USB drive on any of my machines, so I don't know about that. I do have a CF reader.
And that is how I understand It also. You can setup Channel 1 and 0 differently, but they both operate the RS232 port. Not sure where the need for that would come Into play. But It must for some reason.

I don't have a USB drive on any of my machines, so I don't know about that. I do have a CF reader.
And that is how I understand It also. You can setup Channel 1 and 0 differently, but they both operate the RS232 port. Not sure where the need for that would come Into play. But It must for some reason.
I set the parameters for I/O on channel 1 and the machine will transmit a file ok. But when I try to receive
(F Input) the control flashes "compare" until the transmit from the pc ends, then the control flashes "There is no compared program". I cannot find a reference to "compare" anywhere in the manuals.

Back