What's new
What's new

Loctite 242 as a sealant between plates

Anyone out there ever use Loctite 242 or 243 as a sealant between two (very flat) aluminum plates?
Will it keep compressed air (80psi) from crossing small adjacent pockets?
BTW the plates the aluminum jig plates are 18” square by 3/4” thick and have many M6 socket screws holding them together.

Haven't done it myself, but I'm familiar with anaerobic compound being used in exactly that way in both steel-on-iron and steel-on-steel applications. Can't say more -- beyond it worked well -- due to non- disclosure limitation.

Haven't done it myself, but I'm familiar with anaerobic compound being used in exactly that way in both steel-on-iron and steel-on-steel applications. Can't say more -- beyond it worked well -- due to non- disclosure limitation.
Many years ago I bought one of those early Taiwan made Delta benchtop drill presses and I applied 242 at assembly such as where the column flange bolts to the base. Someone I knew and respected said it prevented movement from vibration on such a light machine and slightly increased stability by filling tiny gaps. Given his background I listened to what he said.

Thanks guys for the reply(s)
I think I’m gonna chicken out from the Loctite and use a low viscosity epoxy.
I know THAT will hold pressure.
It will also be quite permanent but in my case that’s okay too.

Back