What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley 14 lathe info

Lowry34

Plastic
I just picked up this L&S 14 for $900. It needs some work but seems to be in good shape other than some surface rust.

I'm was hoping someone would have some info on the year and maybe manuals or some sort of literature. I haven't been able to find anything on my own.

Serial number is 3709120230102_165351.jpg20230102_170237.jpg

Its got a long taper chuck mount,which was generally 40s/50s.......is the green one behind yours too?

Not pickin a fight here John, and I'm probably wrong (I usually am!!) but I seem to recall John Oder (I think) showing (again I think) Lodge & Shipley had their own ''special'' chuck mount ??? ...........which looked a bit like a long taper from the outside???

I blame my age 😁

Not pickin a fight here John, and I'm probably wrong (I usually am!!) but I seem to recall John Oder (I think) showing (again I think) Lodge & Shipley had their own ''special'' chuck mount ??? ...........which looked a bit like a long taper from the outside???

I blame my age 😁

They did... a non-tapered, non keyed "spud" with a fixed, internally threaded ring that drove the tooling. It eventually evolved into the L taper style. This lathe is too new to have it. 37091 puts it as manufactured in 1945.

37XXX is WW2 vintage, its a "Model A" and does in fact come with the L1 spindle nose - as of 1938 replacing the proprietary nose they had used since the teens and that Limi Sami refers to. Incidentally the very first of the make to have both lead screw and feed rod

Here is the larger of the 2 proprietary that was on my twenties 24"

Attachments

• DCP_1259.jpg
    DCP_1259.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DCP_1261.jpg
    DCP_1261.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
37XXX is WW2 vintage, its a "Model A" and does in fact come with the L1 spindle nose - as of 1938 replacing the proprietary nose they had used since the teens and that Limi Sami refers to. Incidentally the very first of the make to have both lead screw and feed rod

Here is the larger of the 2 proprietary that was on my twenties 24"
Incidentally...the GREEN ONE is a more elderly Model A with that very same "old timey" spindle nose

Its got a long taper chuck mount,which was generally 40s/50s.......is the green one behind yours too?
Yup the green one is also mine It was my first lathe. It's in pretty bad shape picked this new one will be a nice upgrade.

Incidentally...the GREEN ONE is a more elderly Model A with that very same "old timey" spindle nose
Thanks for the info John! I never had attempted to pull the chuck off the green one as I didn't have another chuck for it. This new lathe came with two 3 jaws and a 4 jaw I'm looking forward to having those options.

The guy I bought it from told me it came out of a navy sub base. I noticed the us anchor stamped by the serial number. I'm thinking that might confirm what he told me.

Lowry, I have 2 of these in house and run my 14" almost daily. Have completely disassembled one of these except for main part of headstock. Have plenty photo's and info to get you started on your way. Send a PM with contact info when you get a chance.
Johnny

I'm sure you've enjoyed running the old green beast but I'm here to tell you, the new kid's going to spoil you once you get her polished up and flying.

Lowry, I have 2 of these in house and run my 14" almost daily. Have completely disassembled one of these except for main part of headstock. Have plenty photo's and info to get you started on your way. Send a PM with contact info when you get a chance.
Johnny
Hey thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info John! I never had attempted to pull the chuck off the green one as I didn't have another chuck for it. This new lathe came with two 3 jaws and a 4 jaw I'm looking forward to having those options.

The guy I bought it from told me it came out of a navy sub base. I noticed the us anchor stamped by the serial number. I'm thinking that might confirm what he told me.
Here's the older (plain) bearings and spindle with proprietary nose like the GREEN one

Attachments

• spindle and bearings.jpg
    spindle and bearings.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 8
Take your time with the model A; be sure the headstock oil pump is flushed good and working when you service the headstock. A rare piece you have there with almost all the knobs and handles still in place. I have a couple of those cross feed ball handles if yours is not in the chip pan. My 14 x 30 Model A will hold .0005 to .0007 tolerance easily on 3--bushing sets for CNC carbide sharpeners i cut routinely. Vintage machinery website has your PDF --58 page manual for that exact model. Too bad the 14"- model A does not have the reverse to Lead feature that came with the green lathe, but the taper attachment will definitely a bonus.

Last edited:
Early lube chart for maybe green one

Attachments

• LS Early Oiling A.jpg
    LS Early Oiling A.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 7
  • LS Early Oiling B.jpg
    LS Early Oiling B.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Take your time with the model A; be sure the headstock oil pump is flushed good and working when you service the headstock. A rare piece you have there with almost all the knobs and handles still in place. I have a couple of those cross feed ball handles if yours is not in the chip pan. My 14 x 30 Model A will hold .0005 to .0007 tolerance easily on 3--bushing sets for CNC carbide sharpeners i cut routinely. Vintage machinery website has your PDF --58 page manual for that exact model. Too bad the 14"- model A does not have the reverse to Lead feature that came with the green lathe, but the taper attachment will definitely a bonus.
I have the manual from vintage machinery I have been reading through. It did not come with the crossfeed handle I was thinking about just robing the one off the green lathe, they look to be the same. However of you've got one I might be interested. The only other thing I've found missing is the clamp and rod for the taper attachment.

My Co worker is heavy into aluminum casting work, so we should be able to cast a repoduction clamp off my 16" machine. We've made up a number of clutch and power feed handles for these two machines as well------

Is there a specific oil you would recommend for the headstock? I pulled the small cover and looked in there and everything looked really good everything was very clean. I think I will still flush it and change the oil.

Back