What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley 26" ?

spaeth

Hot Rolled
A question for you L&S Powerturn guys. Sometimes I see a 26" swing advertised and sometimes a 26-1/2" swing, both referred to as Powerturn's. Are they the same or different models? Seems odd to make a big swing lathe 1/2" bigger or smaller. The question arises as to fitment of a steady rest that has that somewhat weird angle on the rear center way.

A question for you L&S Powerturn guys. Sometimes I see a 26" swing advertised and sometimes a 26-1/2" swing, both referred to as Powerturn's. Are they the same or different models? Seems odd to make a big swing lathe 1/2" bigger or smaller. The question arises as to fitment of a steady rest that has that somewhat weird angle on the rear center way.
I'd suppose the reporter was doing what he could and these folks may or may not have much of an idea about makers standards

For years and years a 24 inch lathe would have an actulal swing of about 27 1/2 because this was more or less an industry standard. Even my 1917 24" adhered to this. If the PT had somewhat less, well that was because L&S wanted it that way :D

My two older L & S's will swing just over 15" for the 14" model; 18 1/2" on the 16" and I believe the 20" PT will push at least 22" if I recall. Guess they didnt want anyone to OVERSTRESS they're light duty machinery!!!:D

My old 20" Standard duty L & S Model X I bought from John Oder would almost swing 24" over the ways. It was something like 23-15/16". Of course, it was a gap bed lathe. The removable gap that couldn't be removed from years of crud build up I recall would swing around 32" in the gap.

As for the odd way that the tailstock rode on as well as any steady rest would set on was an L & S thing. I never understood that. I modified a old Monarch steady rest to work on that bed. I guess it worked out, I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Still have a large capacity S.R. here for a 16-18" swing Model A bed lathe. It's made of aluminum castings. I believe 1947 was the year steel was in short supply and lots of aluminum was used in its place.

My old 20" Standard duty L & S Model X I bought from John Oder would almost swing 24" over the ways. It was something like 23-15/16". Of course, it was a gap bed lathe. The removable gap that couldn't be removed from years of crud build up I recall would swing around 32" in the gap.

As for the odd way that the tailstock rode on as well as any steady rest would set on was an L & S thing. I never understood that. I modified a old Monarch steady rest to work on that bed. I guess it worked out, I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Still have a large capacity S.R. here for a 16-18" swing Model A bed lathe. It's made of aluminum castings. I believe 1947 was the year steel was in short supply and lots of aluminum was used in its place.
There are older ones in my brochure - when they still thought square ways were just fine. This model is the one with the double sightglass way low in back for HS lube - and no oil laying around in head stock

Attachments

• Brochure Scan 01.jpg
    Brochure Scan 01.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Brochure Scan 02.jpg
    Brochure Scan 02.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Brochure Scan 03.jpg
    Brochure Scan 03.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Brochure Scan 04.jpg
    Brochure Scan 04.jpg