What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley ID Help

Weldershop

Plastic
Hi
I just purchased this lathe and cannot find any pictures that match it, and no model number is on the machine
Any help would be appreciated
It is a 16 I thinkF204154F-20E7-4565-BDF1-9284EE80AB9A.jpeg

One of their early, developmental efforts at a geared head. Pre-1920, as I recall. There should be a serial number stamped between the ways at the tailstock end of the bed, which will indicate year of manufacture.

One of their early, developmental efforts at a geared head. Pre-1920, as I recall. There should be a serial number stamped between the ways at the tailstock end of the bed, which will indicate year of manufacture.
Yes - between two REAR ways
The "cluster" of speed change levers says early - before this 1916 scan. I'll suppose they were busy replacing the Patent Head. Add the "other" appearing early gear head L&S - a big one in AK.

Attachments

• L&Spg28sm.jpg
    L&Spg28sm.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 222 056.JPG
    222 056.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here is the stamping on the rear way

Attachments

• 64964C40-AC9D-4149-ABC9-3EF6B459A9BE.jpeg
    64964C40-AC9D-4149-ABC9-3EF6B459A9BE.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 12
I would like to know what model it is so I can find a operator manual
15192 is from the mid teens I'd guess - they were over 25K for serials as of 1920. No manuals in those days - or hardly any. If I find the old one I'll post it - but its much later than the teens
Here are some non L&S generic info you might find useful

Here is the not very useful one from 1921

L&S serial list says 15192 was built near the end of 1913

Last edited:
Thanks For your help!
I bought a Shars quick change tool post for it.
any idea what size tailstock it might be, sorry but I am new to this, is there a simple way to measure and know ?
Thanks again

one other question, what oil goes in the lil oil ports on the gear head ?
also is there any thing i should check over as far as lubrication before running it much ? i read about oil changes and oil pumps ????

I also would like to switch it over to a conventional V Belt instead of the leather (I know this is kinda cool, but it the day it tears will not be)
is this "clutch (I assume thats what it is) on the end removeable ? able to be deleted and a v belt pulley configured on ??
Any thoughs or expreience will be apprecialted

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 3
What does the GB-14 and GC-16 on the bottom of this tag mean, or are they of no importance ?

Attachments

• IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
I also would like to switch it over to a conventional V Belt instead of the leather (I know this is kinda cool, but it the day it tears will not be)
is this "clutch (I assume thats what it is) on the end removeable ? able to be deleted and a v belt pulley configured on ??
Any thoughs or expreience will be apprecialted
Clutch s internal and part of geared head. The only practical way to use vee belts is skim cut the flat belt pulley (so it will be flat and not "crowned") and run belts on that and let the lower (or upper) pulley be a regular vee belt pulley.

Some clutch related stuff here

If following through with "repowering" DO NOT run input pulley on head stock faster than about 400. June 1922 pub says 395 on the 14" and 16"

Last edited:
Get a used serpentine belt from a truck it will last a long time and transmit much more power than the leather belt ever could. Go to the South Bend section of this web site and look for the directions in the thread entitled "Do the serpentine belt fix today".

Back