What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley model X identification please

EZFEED

Plastic
Hey guys I'm not new to the forum but I don't post that much. I just wanted to ask y'all to identify my lathe for me. I was under the impression it was an X but the ways don't seem right?
Also it doesn't have 20hp its a 7.5hp but the might be a recent repower??reporter???
I have it running off a vfd and it works fine for me. If I have to use the higher speeds I just ease into the clutch and let her wind up. Pretty much I stay in those first for speeds they are fine for me.

I need to replace the transmission oil and I'd like to replace all of the sight glasses but I don't know where to find those 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" press in ones???

Harron, Rickard & McCone was a machine tool distributer located in California. The company started in 1901 and had offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Their San Francisco location at 139-149 Townsend is still standing, it looks like it was recently redone. Not sure when they went out of business, guessing late 1960's - early 1970's. One of the machine tool builders they represented was Monarch. That image in the center of the plaque is the Mechanics Monument, still located on Market Street in San Francisco, see:https://www.artandarchitecture-sf.com/market-street-san-francisco-december-8-2011.html

David

Last edited:
it quite likely WW2 era...as so many machines were made then.......if we assume L&S records no longer exist,then an extensive research of WW2 Government procurement records might find it ........One way of dating machines is to find a Patents Plate ,and the most recent patent will likley be within 6 months of the manufacture date........Personally ,I would just use it and be happy.

Is there a way to determine the exact model and age of the machine????
Yes - post the serial - which is between two rear ways at right end. It will be a five digit number
The 1100 Odd top speed is on the 14 and 16 Model X, and the "square" ways are older than the vee ways machines

Here is a brochure page - even dated 1951. I'll suppose yours may be older

Attachments

• LS X 1951.jpg
    LS X 1951.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Monarch lathes supports the Lodge & Shipley line of lathes. See John Legge's company history here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf

Scrolling down a ways you will find this:
"1992*: In July Monarch purchased the parts, inventory, engineering records, tooling, patents, trademark, copyrights and trade name of the Lodge & Shipley Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio. This allowed Monarch to continue to manufacture several lines of Lodge and Shipley lathes, as well as filling requests for repair parts and service for this old line machine builder."

This is followed with some more bits about Lodge & Shipley.

So if you find your lathe's serial number, Monarch Lathes in Sidney OH may be able to provide you some information.

David

John is correct, this is the older style Model X with the flat ways instead of the harden and ground vee ways. All the ones with flat ways I recall seeing in earlier days were not harden. Yes, get the serial number and let John get you the year it was born. I have a large capacity steady rest here for a 16-18" Early Model A or X here that may fit your bed if interested if it is a 16-18" size. Ken

Back