What's new
What's new

Long reach straight shank boring head

MCritchley

Stainless
I need to bore a small dia. deep hole in a mill. Many jobs ago we had a set of straight shank bars with a little cartridge at the end that head a small insert. The shank was straight so you could choke up on its grip if your bore was not very deep. We held the bars in a milling chuck and could achieve 8 to 1 or so with these bars. They worked great, I would love to buy a set of them. I cannot recall who made these bars, nor have i found them via. an exhaustive web search.

Has anyone used a bar like this and who made them? My bore is 5.5" deep and is .932 in dia.

Productive search terms for these tools are "Devlieg cartridge", "TSD cartridge", "microbore".

I'd be sitting down if I had a "set" of these quoted new. There are innumerable variations possible so I don't know what a "set" would look like. You generally buy the bar to match the bore size and style of cartridge you plan to use then you buy the style of cartridge that suits the application and the bar.

I accidently bought an auction lot of a few dozen 3/8-2" size Devlieg bars with hundreds of cartridges thinking they were lathe bars. $10 for the lot. Years later I needed to make a deep 10MM bore so I tried one. I was pretty amazed at how well they work. I've since spent a few grand on used Ebay Devlieg bars, cartridges and boring rings.

These tools are incredibly rigid by design. I often wonder why they aren't more popular. Boring heads that everyone accepts as the gold standard today are a joke compared to these things.

I'd be sitting down if I had a "set" of these quoted new. There are innumerable variations possible so I don't know what a "set" would look like.
I had one. It was in a steel box, looked like the boxes that tap extensions and tap extractors used to be sold in. I doubt many were sold.

I spoke with the nice folks at Universal DeVlieg and have the exact bar I needed coming for about $200! Thanks for the help, I wasn't looking in that direction, but have seen the stuff on Ebay. It makes sense that DeVlieg would have nice boring tools to support their jig mills.
The kit i used in the past was not Devlieg, the adjuster was different. No need to solve that question now that i know where to buy this style of tool. No need to buy a set as they have stock of most items.

Attachments

• Boring bar.pdf
    194.6 KB · Views: 25

Back