What's new
What's new

Looking at used VF2 machines - is 2008 coldfire 1 still?

Elemental_Garage

Aluminum
Hola all,

After a lot of researching, talking to people (here, in person, reddit, other machine shops, etc.) I have mostly - always some doubt - decided to focus in on finding a used Haas VF2 machine to integrate into my small business shop. I'm not closed off to a TM2P/3P, but a little concerned I'd outgrow the 6k spindle, especially with small tools and materials like aluminum and copper.

The amount of online materials, videos, resources, etc. just make it too appealing as a newer machinist to ignore, and while the resale value right now is biting me, should I ever want to upgrade or move in another direction that can help later on. I know Fanuc is popular, and there are a lot of machines running it (I've looked at some used Hwacheons for example) but it just isn't on the same level as what is there for a Haas and that is deterring me from them.

In searching for VF2 I'm trying to determine if 2008s are still the unsupported coldfire 1 boards, or if that was the first year of coldfire II. My budget limits me to things in the 2008-2014 range, and I'm trying to avoid the unsupported board.

While I'd love to find one with WIPS I've determined that it may not be in budget depending on the other options, and would move forward budgeting for a Haimer.

Curious if there are any years in the range I've laid out that I should avoid (assuming 2008 isn't coldfire I still).

Next gen controls started in 2016 so thats gonna be a significant cutoff point for official support. I believe some older stuff is partially supported but it will be limited.

There are retrofitting services available but I would avoid that if you don't already own the machine.

To be fair, new Haas machines are competitively priced and their leasing structure makes buying an old machine pretty unattractive unless you can handle older equipment yourself.

So a 2014 machine would only be partially supported from a parts standpoint? That seems a little nuts. I thought it was only coldfire that they discontinued support for, supposedly due to not being able to get chips for that control anymore from the manufacturer.

The way I understand if after talking with my HFO about my machine and a few others I was looking at. CF1 is no longer supported at all from a hardware standpoint, they can still charge you for option codes, do limited software support and some of the sensors etc were used on later machines so they have those, but from a board perspective your best option is ebay or an electronics rebuilder. CF2 is still fully supported both as is and some versions of it have the option to upgrade to "maincon" ngc. But total CF2 support is probably ending "soon" I have no idea if they meant months, years, etc for soon. 2008 should be a cf2, I'm pretty sure everything with the polished bezel and tachometer style load/speed meter is cf2.

Agree on this post. Most of the HFO training and what you can expect from a green, even average tech often becomes limited fast. In my area, you can only chat w/ Ol' Gary. A grey like me who remembers the older stuff and what to tell the tech that comes out how to even proceed. (meaning we have grey hair and remember working on these) So you may call. they'll come and take your money, and you'll expect them to get you someplace for a hefty hourly rate, and only then realize they're guessing. It's all relative. Why not buy a brand new one? Sent you a PM as well... check out mine maybe

Back