What's new
What's new

Looking for a 14"-16" South Bend Compound

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
So as the title reads, I'm looking for a South Bend Compound, but lets back up as it's a little less straight forward than that.

I have a 1910's-1920's Flather lathe that the compound was replaced with a riser and turret style tool post. Flather is like the great step-daddy of South Bend as they developed a number of designs that South Bend adopted, such as their single tumbler quick change gear box. It's highly unlikely I'll find a true Flather compound, so I'm thinking a South Bend would make a good fit if it's the right size and can be easily adapted

The Flather is a 15" swing. I found a picture online of a 16" South Bend compound and the crank and dial look very similar to the Flather's cross feed. The cross slide has the typical pilot hole in the center and a circular T-bolt slot. Maximum diameter of the bottom of the compound would be 7", the pilot would be 1 5/8", and the T bolts are 1/2" on a 5 1/2" center. Does that sound like something a South Bend would fit or could be adapted to? Anyone parting something out?

I'd consider other lathe compounds too, provided they don't stick out like a sore thumb and don't de-rate the lathe's capacity. Flather had a reputation for hearty castings capable of utilizing carbide when it was introduced. I plan to keep the riser and turret post handy, but want to have the compound's utility as well. More on the Flather here.

20230520_163000.jpg
20230626_184609.jpg

That style is more reminiscent of Monarch's compounds. With pilot, tee bolts.

Not sure pre 1940's, but 1940's thru 1970's South Bends the male side of pilot is not just a circle, its a dove tail all the way around. There are two set screws in cross slide that tighten to that dove tail when you set the degrees of compound.

No tee bolts.

I have a few Monarch's i can check the dimensions, but it may take me a few days to get back with you on that.

Last edited:
A Monarch 12ckk is close. 7.25" on outer circle. 5.75" on tee bolt spread. Pilot is 1.25".

I know a 10ee is smaller. Pretty sure a 16" series 61 is bigger, but I'll see it in a few days.

Guessing a 12" to 14" monarch gear head lathe will be close, with some little mods needed.

So as the title reads, I'm looking for a South Bend Compound, but lets back up as it's a little less straight forward than that.

I have a 1910's-1920's Flather lathe that the compound was replaced with a riser and turret style tool post. Flather is like the great step-daddy of South Bend as they developed a number of designs that South Bend adopted, such as their single tumbler quick change gear box. It's highly unlikely I'll find a true Flather compound, so I'm thinking a South Bend would make a good fit if it's the right size and can be easily adapted

The Flather is a 15" swing. I found a picture online of a 16" South Bend compound and the crank and dial look very similar to the Flather's cross feed. The cross slide has the typical pilot hole in the center and a circular T-bolt slot. Maximum diameter of the bottom of the compound would be 7", the pilot would be 1 5/8", and the T bolts are 1/2" on a 5 1/2" center. Does that sound like something a South Bend would fit or could be adapted to? Anyone parting something out?

I'd consider other lathe compounds too, provided they don't stick out like a sore thumb and don't de-rate the lathe's capacity. Flather had a reputation for hearty castings capable of utilizing carbide when it was introduced. I plan to keep the riser and turret post handy, but want to have the compound's utility as well. More on the Flather here.

View attachment 399890
View attachment 399891
I have a old style South Bend 16” compound, but the T-bolt holes are only 4 3/4” apart
Ted

OK I bought a compound. Didn't end up being a South Bend but it should work. The guy who had it said it was from a Lodge and Shipley, but no idea what size, model, or age. It's a little "advanced" with the mitered ball crank and dial, but I think it will look at home with some fastener substitution and matching paint. It's big and wide so it matches the machines power potential I think, but it's also low profile and won't rob any tool height. Most importantly, it will fit with little modification. I need to turn down the pilot some, and the t-bolt holes need to be enlarged and their position shifted slightly. The diameter of the base is the same as the width of the cross slide, which is good too.
20231220_152434.jpg
20231220_152512.jpg

Back