What's new
What's new

looking for a Horizontal boring mill

garychipmaker

Cast Iron
We are looking to replace a G&L 340 HBM at work in eastern Iowa. A simple manual machine is what is all that is needed. The mill we have now is worn out. It has 62" X travel which I'd like to find 1 with 84-96 " travel. And Y travel 48". A machine with the outrigger rails built into the base would be great so installation would be much cheaper. I found a couple G & L machines at Belmont machinery a couple years ago but boss wouldn't even look at a picture of them at that time. 1 machine had 120" of X travel and the other had 96" or so. We have some long weldments to re-machine Any Ideas where to look. I'v e checked Belmont and Ebay

DeVlieg 4h96 or 4k96. Even an older 4b if condition is acceptable. Newer have more electrics to cause problems, but more capability as well. The table is fully supported, so no outriggers to align.

I gotta ask- Why not CNC?

The rigging cost and the floorspace it takes up are way bigger costs than either a manual or CNC HBM takes up.

That’ll be expensive to install DDoug. Double out riggers on both sides - you’ll need a really good foundation to make that lot work.

Regards Tyrone
Not for me, the OP wanted this size, he'll need to pay for it all.
And yes, I have detailed foundations for very similar machines.
IIRC one we excavated down 6'.

Not for me, the OP wanted this size, he'll need to pay for it all.
And yes, I have detailed foundations for very similar machines.
IIRC one we excavated down 6'.
He was actually asking for “ a simple manual machine”. He was also asking for a machine with “ the outrigger rails built into the bed”. What we used to call a “ wing type bed “. He’s wise there. You could get away spending a lot less on the foundations with those old style machines.
Some wiz had the idea of saving on manufacturing costs by using separate outriggers and expecting the concrete foundation to be a significant part of the whole installation.

Regards Tyrone.

He was actually asking for “ a simple manual machine”. He was also asking for a machine with “ the outrigger rails built into the bed”. What we used to call a “ wing type bed “. He’s wise there. You could get away spending a lot less on the foundations with those old style machines.
Some wiz had the idea of saving on manufacturing costs by using separate outriggers and expecting the concrete foundation to be a significant part of the whole installation.

Regards Tyrone.
Yes, but why don't YOU come up with one for sale then ??? Another thing, the "wing type" is old style as you indicated, the more expensive outrigger style is NEWER, and for a reason. Wanting old is what he HAS, think you gonna find a pristine OLD one just sitting in a barn for scrap price ?

CNC being used.....in wait for it....MDI.

He want's the moon, and to pay nothing for it.

Yes, but why don't YOU come up with one for sale then ??? Another thing, the "wing type" is old style as you indicated, the more expensive outrigger style is NEWER, and for a reason. Wanting old is what he HAS, think you gonna find a pristine OLD one just sitting in a barn for scrap price ?

CNC being used.....in wait for it....MDI.

He want's the moon, and to pay nothing for it.
I live in the UK, I could find him one over here but I doubt wether he could afford the shipping costs.
He says he’s machining long weldments so I would have thought capacity was probably more important that real accuracy. There’ll be something out there good enough to do that sort of work. A 1960‘s or 70’s machine with a “ planer “ type bed would be his best bet.

Regards Tyrone

I live in the UK, I could find him one over here but I doubt wether he could afford the shipping costs.
He says he’s machining long weldments so I would have thought capacity was probably more important that real accuracy. There’ll be something out there good enough to do that sort of work. A 1960‘s or 70’s machine with a “ planer “ type bed would be his best bet.

Regards Tyrone
I can only go by what the OP says.

YOU can ASS-U-me all YOU want All day long.
Either way, YOU aren't helping much are YOU ?

Doug, dial it back a little buddy. Maybe have a coffee break and relax a little. Tyrone's a good guy.

A large 'x' travel machine will probably not be available without separate outriggers. The biggest machines have a couple on each side, and they need them for the amount of weight the tables can hold. Doug is completely correct that it's very important to have a rock solid foundation if you're going to be doing work this size, or the whole machine will flex and rock/settle when the weight goes from one side to the other. What do you suppose happens when you're machining a long surface with an endmill and the machine is moving in that way while you're cutting? Sitting atop a concrete floor is not good enough. The floor will also flex and eventually crack.

Last edited:
Watch and sign up for some of the auction sites. They just sold
a Sellers 5" floor type for 2500.00 in Cleveland. Not sure what the travels were but the machine looked pretty clean. I thought it was a good deal for that money.
spaeth

Back