What's new
What's new

Looking for a new home for John's 20" Heavy Greaves Klusman

swatkins

Titanium
The title says it all.... John's lathe that is featured in this thread https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cincinnati-milacron-kearney-trecker-vn-usa-heavy-iron/20-heavy-greaves-klusman-183407/?highlight=20%26quot%3B+heavy%26quot%3B Needs a new home... I was offered this machine but I just don't have any room left... The machine is free for anyone that will promise not to just scrap it and will at least try to finish the restoration. There is a lot of history with the repairs on the machine and I'm sure John will help with advice.

I went and videoed the machine at Matthews shop and you can see it here... Toolmaster Repair : FREE Lathe : Tour of a great Machine Shop! - YouTube

I just wish I could take it but right now I can barely see the doors to get in and out of my place...

Stresses me out just looking at all those used up and unwanted machines. There's a couple lifetimes worth of machines to patch up or rebuild in there.

Industrial masochism? Is that a thing?

GOOD LUCK FOLKS. Be nice for the effort to have a continuum. Numerous pieces were made to serve as tooling for line boring head stock on the 3B jig bore (its generous size table, not its vertical spindle) - such as these uprights to support bearing housings for the 8 foot boring bar I made

part1.jpgpart 2.jpgpart 3.jpgpart 4.jpgpart 5.jpg

If the GK and 3B are separated you need another way. Be great if the GK went to a shop with a suitable HBM:D

Just so there is a good understanding that the head stock will have to be align bored in ALL five lines of bearing bores

For the love of Iron.
This is not an undertaken by a novice. John has repaired and set up some bars for the line bore. Thats my take on it.
I would love to take it on, but I have a full plate right now.
Someone capable please take on this beauty. Old and its considered obsolete. Knowing Johnoder's knowledge from the forum I don't think he would have taken on a hopeless cause.
He has taken the cracked and broken casing back too solid form. What a nice piece of Iron.
Obsolete or not once its past the line bore it's no different than any other project.
I hear what you're saying Garwood and get the drift but were all molded different. Just like the cast iron.

Steve
Keep us informed. This lathe will get a new home.

I read johnoder's Greaves Klusman lathe rebuild thread about two years ago. It is an incredible testament to the ability and tenacity of John; I was amazed at the amount of information it contained. If I can learn and retain 10% of the information in that thread before my time is up I will be happy (I'm a hobby machinist; electrician by trade). Here's hoping that the next owner of this fine lathe will keep us notified of the GKs status.

Back