What's new
What's new

Looking for New CNC lathe, but smaller in size.

steermtd

Plastic
We're looking a smaller CNC lathe for smaller parts. We have (3) Hardinge Conquest 42's, one is a T42. Even these are a bit large. So when looking at what's available Swiss turning comes into play almost immediatly. These are great, but they are made for complex parts and even the least expensive has a hefty price tag.
Does anyone know of a smaller CNC lathe, with sub spindle? Also need lots of tools availble in turret. Currently running a small job and using 13 tools. Turret max'd out and one station I doubled up.

When you say smaller, are you looking for a machine that takes up less floor space or one that is more suited to smaller parts? Maybe give us the part sizes you expect to run, and we can suggest something better.

Without knowing more, and just thinking of smallish fixed headstock lathes with subspindles, I'd suggest these:

Cubic STS-27
Cubic Machinery

Takisawa TCY-160S
TCY-Series|Takisawa Machine Tool Co., Ltd.

Miyano BNA-42S2 (or other BNA-42 variations)
MIYANO BNA-S2/DHY3 | Marubeni Citizen-Cincom, Inc.

I'm a bit biased as I used to work for them, but Doosan has a very nice 6 inch chuck lathe with sub spindle and live tools. Reasonable price, robust construction.

I meant smaller parts. 1" or less. Little back work would be nice (sub spindle). Not much area to move around in rapid feed. That's one of the advantages of Swiss, small envelope, so things go quick.

I like the speed of the Swiss, but again, it's for complex parts. Both Tsugami and Citizen have nice models, both can run up to 25mm.

I also have a Okuma LB3000, with live tooling, even bigger machine than the Conquest, great machine. We bought that new. The Okuma/Genos is made in Taiwan, not Japan. For me there's a big difference.

I guess if they made a Conquest 32 with sub, that would probably be ideal.

I have looked into Miyano. the 42, but it's similar to Conquest in size, I also believe the turret is limited to 8 stations.

I meant smaller parts. 1" or less. Little back work would be nice (sub spindle). Not much area to move around in rapid feed. That's one of the advantages of Swiss, small envelope, so things go quick.

I like the speed of the Swiss, but again, it's for complex parts. Both Tsugami and Citizen have nice models, both can run up to 25mm.

I also have a Okuma LB3000, with live tooling, even bigger machine than the Conquest, great machine. We bought that new. The Okuma/Genos is made in Taiwan, not Japan. For me there's a big difference.

I guess if they made a Conquest 32 with sub, that would probably be ideal.

I have looked into Miyano. the 42, but it's similar to Conquest in size, I also believe the turret is limited to 8 stations.

We have many Okumas both Japanese and Taiwan Builds and can't say there's a discernable difference between them. The machines are the same, you just lose options on the Taiwan machines, and on the lathes not many. With the mills the biggest limitation is you have to get a 15K Cat40 spindle and 32 tool magazine.

If you're willing to purchase a used machine, look for a Hardinge Elite 27MS. They are from the mid to late 2000s. It's like a newer version of the Conquest, but with a 5C spindle, sub, and 16 position turret where all positions can be live. I have an Elite 42M, and it's a nice machine.

Any Y-axis machine will allow you to double up on tools on each side (quadruple if you include the sub side).

Swiss lathes give you a lot more RPMs. 10K on the the 25/26mm machines, if you need the SFMs.

If you can live with 6K, turret machines are still more convenient to use.

Too bad they don't make that Hardinge Elite 27MS. Seems like a good fit for me. 5C collets on both ends. Missed the bus here I think.
I don't mind used at all, but not many Elites for sale.
Only draw back for Elite is standard VDI turret.

Last edited:

Back