What's new
What's new

Looking for older Brown and Sharpe Universal mill to run on line shaft

Stevenewonics

Plastic
Does anyone know of an older universal mill that can be restored to run on a line shaft that is available for purchase?

Preferably already restored but at least in reasonably good condition

Thanks

Last edited:
Steven,
I know of one setting inside that might fill the bill but it's a long
ways away. NW PA to Salt Lake sounds like a long trip. I think it is a single over arm machine that was running until it was stored in the back room. Not sure if it is universal or plain. If you are really interested I could get pics.
spaeth

Steven,
I know of one setting inside that might fill the bill but it's a long
ways away. NW PA to Salt Lake sounds like a long trip. I think it is a single over arm machine that was running until it was stored in the back room. Not sure if it is universal or plain. If you are really interested I could get pics.
spaeth
Most likely anything is going to be a ways away from Salt Lake. Not a lot of history for that stuff in this area. Send me a pic and any info you have on it, thanks

Detour 30min north of Detroit and I’ll load this lathe on your trailer for $300. I’ve been trying to save it for years but it’s going to the pot. I have a small pile of Armstrong tool holders that are going with it.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone know of an older universal mill that can be restored to run on a line shaft that is available for purchase?

Preferably already restored but at least in reasonably good condition

Thanks
Oh, you gotta give us more than that:). Are you building a line-shaft shop or adding onto one? Any pictures?

I don't have a universal to offer unfortunately. I have a couple old line shaft production mills, including a B&S #12, but they still need a lot of work and not sure if I'm up to letting them go given my own line-shaft aspirations.

Detour 30min north of Detroit and I’ll load this lathe on your trailer for $300. I’ve been trying to save it for years but it’s going to the pot. I have a small pile of Armstrong tool holders that are going with it.

Andy
That's a beautiful old lathe, if I was in the neighborhood I'd be tempted but I have 3 lathes and I'm running out of room.

Steve

Last edited:
Oh, you gotta give us more than that:). Are you building a line-shaft shop or adding onto one? Any pictures?

I don't have a universal to offer unfortunately. I have a couple old line shaft production mills, including a B&S #12, but they still need a lot of work and not sure if I'm up to letting them go given my own line-shaft aspirations.
I recently retired and am setting about putting one together. I have collected just about everything I need including steam engines, machine tools, wood working tools and some forge stuff. really just don't have a mill. Was a mechanical engineer and have a big interest in the earlier stuff. Most of my stuff dates into the mid to late 1800s but a few things from the early 1900s as well. I'm out of town this week but I can post some pictures next week if there is an interest. All stored in a warehouse right now but building a big pole barn to put it in.

Steve

I recently retired and am setting about putting one together. I have collected just about everything I need including steam engines, machine tools, wood working tools and some forge stuff. really just don't have a mill. Was a mechanical engineer and have a big interest in the earlier stuff. Most of my stuff dates into the mid to late 1800s but a few things from the early 1900s as well. I'm out of town this week but I can post some pictures next week if there is an interest. All stored in a warehouse right now but building a big pole barn to put it in.

Steve
Keep us posted. I like seeing these old machines set-up like they were intended.

I've got a similar project going but still a long ways to go.
Machine Shed Thread

Back