What's new
What's new

Looking for part-off tool recommendations

I don't think it would decrease the cutting force as much as change the direction of the force.
With a regular cantilevered blade the force wants to bend the blade.
With the Sandvik system, the force is directed down the blade, which would want to compress the blade instead of bend it.
I think that would also reduce vibration from the interrupted cut.

I haven't looked into trying to get G96 to work in the Y-Axis.
I'm sure it can be done, but haven't had time to look into it too much.

Reactions: Ox
I agree; I'm just having difficulty explaining what Sandvik and I were unsure of. At the time, we thought the insert was getting pulled out, and unfortunately, blade rigidity and insert retention are two different things. We were also attempting to part off through a very heavily interrupted cut.

Since the design of Y-axis parting tools puts the cutting forces into the length of the blade, it helps with blade rigidity. However, nobody knows if it also helps with insert retention. Going through an interrupted cut 24/7 can damage the insert seats quickly, especially with Sandvik's tiny little pyramid-locating faces. Iscar's TAG insert's held up much better than Sandvik's for interruptions, but we couldn't get good chip formation regardless of what we threw at it.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work; I'm actually a big fan of Y-axis parting. Just sharing why we didn't go through with testing it on this application.

I don't think it would decrease the cutting force as much as change the direction of the force.
With a regular cantilevered blade the force wants to bend the blade.
With the Sandvik system, the force is directed down the blade, which would want to compress the blade instead of bend it.
I think that would also reduce vibration from the interrupted cut.

I haven't looked into trying to get G96 to work in the Y-Axis.
I'm sure it can be done, but haven't had time to look into it too much.

This is one of my things about this type.
IDK how you would ever run CSS in this application, and cut-off would be one of the most likely cases of using G96.

The big square blade that the Iscar unit has, has taken pretty much all of the chatter out of the cut-off. Actually, I'm not sure that I have had any chatter since I switched to them. And I'm sure that plays a roll in the life of the inserts.

With that said, I go out of my way to avoid interupted cuts. Typically I will run the cut-off down to the depth of the interuption prior to cutting that interuption, and then going back and finishing the cut-off later. Of course that doesn't work for everything, but it does for most apps.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, it works a treat. Sandvik got w the MTBs who will give you an EIA sub program(macro) to run the blade. Sub out with a few rguements-OD, SFM, DOC and it goes fast. Nice finish on both sides.

Reactions: Ox
Test an Y-axis parting blade from Sandvik. I didn't think it would be much difference compared to normal parting but I did a test in 4140PH and it was like parting of POM (plastic).

Back